Women Artists of the West
53rd National Juried Exhibition
4701 Highway 89 North Prescott, AZ 86301
March 1, 2024 – June 23, 2024
Opening and Awards Reception: March 9, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
Application Dates: August 7, 2023 – December 1, 2023
Notification Date: January 1, 2024
WAOW Opening Weekend Events: March 6, 2024 – March 10, 2024
*Note: Applicants are no longer required to "blur" their signature on the entry*
Women Artists of the West (WAOW) is excited to exhibit at the Phippen Museum of Western Art in Prescott, Arizona for its 54th National Exhibition and Sale. The Phippen Museum of Western Art is named after George Phippen, who was co-founder and first president of the Cowboy Artists of America. The Phippen Museum’s Permanent Collection holds close to 800 pieces of fine art. Some of its permanent exhibits include two studio replicas, a Western Heritage Gallery, history of the cowgirl and an Arizona rancher and Cowboy Hall of Fame. Plein air painters will love painting in the adjacent Granite Dells and the red rocks of Sedona which are within a one-hour drive. The Grand Canyon’s majestic vistas are only two hours away.
2022 AWARDS JUDGE: Jessica Garrett-Lawrence
Jessica Lawrence has had numerous one person shows at galleries representing her work. She has also participated in prestigious museum shows such as the Buffalo Bill Art Show & Sale in Cody, Wyoming since 2010, and the esteemed Cowgirl Up Invitational in Wickenburg, Arizona since 2014.
In 2018, she received the Governor's Choice Award at Cowgirl Up Invitational Art Show.
In 2019, she was selected as Artist in Residence at the Briton Museum in Big Horn, Wyoming.
In the 2020 Cowgirl Up Invitational, Jessica received the Patron's Choice Award.
The exhibit will include up to 130 2D and 35 3D works with a small number of larger pieces. The exhibit will also include a tribute wall with historic materials and artwork from our Legacy Members. There are over $30,000 in awards from both corporate and private donors associated with this show.
Associate and Signature Members work will be juried for acceptance.
1. Master Signature Members will only get one painting in the show. Masters will be limited to exhibit only one piece that meets the requirements outlined below and which represents their best work. If a Master wishes to exhibit a LARGE WORK rather than the smaller invitational piece, entries must be made through Juried Art Services in the same manner as Signature and Associate members, including the jury fee. Additionally, if a Master enters a LARGE painting and it is accepted, then the Show Chairs will decide if it or the artist’s regulation size artwork is accepted. See LARGE WORKS note for limited exceptions.
Please select your membership level when filling out the application. Applications will be submitted via www.juriedartservices.com. Only online entries will be accepted. No mailed or emailed submissions accepted.
2. Open to all 2023 and 2024 WAOW members in good standing.
3. Paintings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of oil, acrylic, watercolor, casein, tempera, gouache, and pastel. Work must have been completed within the last 3 years (2021-2023).
4. Drawings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of pastel, ink, pencil, crayon, charcoal, scratchboard and original hand-pulled prints. Work must have been completed within the last 3 years (2021-2023).
5. Maximum size for 2D: 56 united inches, unframed. United inches = width + height. Example: A 24” x 32” painting = 56 united inches. See LARGE WORKS note for limited exceptions.
6. Work must not have been shown in a prior WAOW National Juried Exhibit
7. Sculpture executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of wood, metal, stone and clay. Work must have been completed within the last 5 years (2019-2023).
8. Maximum size for 3D: No size limit. Weight limit of 75 lbs.
9. Not acceptable mediums include craft, jewelry, photography, digital art, textiles, fiber art, or pieces containing computer-generated elements. No reproductions of original work allowed.
10.Entries must be of original concept and design: from your own personal reference material/photo taken by YOU and must have been created solely by you. No work from any other person’s drawing/painting/sculpture or photo. Work must be originally conceived. No work created in an instructional setting. Work created from photos taken by the artist herself at professional photoshoots is acceptable. The artist must be able to provide signed documentation of total copyright should WAOW request it.
11.Digital apps and programs may be used for cropping your reference photos, etc., but no digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. You must draw and/or paint the image on your substrate yourself.
12.Maximum entries: five (5).
13.Up to but no more than two pieces of artwork may be accepted in the exhibition per artist.
14.Paintings must be priced at no less than $850.
15.The artist retains copyright to her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of WAOW archives and may be used for WAOW event promotion. Artist agrees that accepted images may be displayed on WAOW and the Gallery’s websites, Facebook pages and other social and/or print media.
16.All work must be for sale. No NFS. Work that does not reflect the artist's current pricing structure may be disqualified from the exhibition. Work must be available for sale after acceptance and available to exhibit during the entirety of the show.
17.All artists accepted into the exhibition must contribute $50 toward the show catalog.
18.An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition or removes the piece before the end of the show shall not be eligible to enter any WAOW exhibitions until April 2027. Work damaged in transit is an exception.
19.All membership and jury fees are non-refundable.
20.The Phippen Museum of Western Art and WAOW reserve the right to refuse to exhibit and/or allow judging for awards of any work.
21.By entering the exhibition, you agree that you have read and will abide by all rules outlined in this prospectus. Submissions not meeting these requirements will not be accepted. No refund of entry fee.
JURIED ART SERVICES: All members will submit their entries online through www.juriedartservices.com. If you do not have an account with JAS, register a user name and password on the website. A password is required to apply. A WAOW blind Jury Committee will accept or decline entries submitted to Juried Art Services, and JAS will notify artists of acceptance or rejection of each piece submitted.
*LARGE WORKS: A very limited number of larger 2D pieces will be accepted into the show. If you would like your work considered for this opportunity, mark that entry as a Large Work when submitting. Add “Large” to the title. There are spaces for six pieces between 57 and 70 united includes.
IMAGES should be in JPG or PNG format, between 750 to 10,950px. 300 PPI/DPI. 50MB max per image. Images for jurying should be of the art only, no mat or frame and make sure it is right side up. Sculptors may submit two views per piece.
TECHNICAL HELP: WAOW can assist you with technical issues (resizing or other). Contact Nori Thorne for help: email@example.com.
ENTRY FEE is paid on the Juried Art Services website by credit card or PayPal. Fees are non-refundable. $55 is the flat fee for one or up to three submissions. Each additional entry is $5 up to a maximum of five entries. You may also pay by check to WAOW.
Checks can be mailed to: Don Pedersen, 17648 Fan Palm Lane, Riverside, CA 92503 If you pay by check, JAS will not release your entry to the jurying committee until payment to WAOW is verified.
ACCEPTED WORKS Upon acceptance, artists will receive shipping/delivery instructions and forms. 2D work must be framed and wired for hanging.
• SOLD ARTWORK will be shipped to the buyer at the buyer’s expense after the show has ended. The Gallery will collect shipping information from buyers at the time of sale and will provide sales information to the artist in a timely manner.
• SALES COMMISSION: Phippen Museum of Western Art will pay their commission on sold work 60% to the Artist for 2D work, 65% to the artist for 3D work. The Phippen Museum will retain 30% and 25% respectively and WAOW shall receive 10% on sales for all 2-D and 3-D pieces. Each artist with a sold work must make a w-9 form available to the Phippen before commission can be received.
• INSURANCE: The artist will be responsible for insurance of artwork in transit to and from the show. The Phippen Museum will be responsible for insurance on artwork only while it is in possession of the artwork. Buyer will be responsible for insuring work during delivery to buyer.
• LIABILITY: All entries will be made at the risk of the entrant. Submission to this show gives unwritten agreement that artist may be included in participating artist list sometimes given to sponsors or specific magazines for ads to which WAOW commits for the national show. Although WAOW and its members will use their best efforts to prevent unfortunate occurrences, neither WAOW, its members, the Museum, nor any other organizations connected with the show is responsible for loss or damage from any cause. By submitting this application, Artist is agreeing to these terms. No exceptions.
• While we believe that this show will open, we realize that there is a possibility that the health and safety of our members may override that hope. If the show does not open because of pandemic issues, WAOW will carry on with an online exhibition and sale and national advertising as planned.
August 7, 2023 Applications open
December 1, 2023 Applications deadline, midnight PST
January 1, 2024 Notifications sent via JuriedArtServices
February 10, 2024 Shipped artwork to arrive at Phippen
February 13, 2024 Hand-delivered work accepted Phippen between 10 - 12
February 27, 2024 Hanging of Artwork
March 6 – 9, 2024 WAOW Opening Weekend Events; weekend activities including preview events, demos, welcome dinner, annual meeting, plein air paint out and display, judge’s demo and award/opening reception. Specifics TBA on WAOW member page
March 9, 2024 Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony, 5:30 – 7:00 pm. Awards presented at 6:30 pm.
June 23, 2024 Exhibit closes
June 30, 2024 Artwork will be returned-shipped to artist by museum
June 30, 2024 Hand-delivered artwork to be picked up at the museum
Artists are responsible for monitoring their emails and the website for postings and updates.
The total awards will exceed $30,000 in cash and sponsor merchandise.
Best of Show $1,000
Best of Master Signatures $1,000
Best of Signatures $750
Best of Associates $750
Awards for 2D and 3D categories
1st Place $500
2nd Place $250
3rd Place $100
Presidents’ Award $500
Christine Drewyer Award of Distinction $500
The Art Life School Pursuit of Beauty Award $500
Eleanor B. Coble Award of Figurative Excellence$750
People’s Choice $100
Artists’ Choice $100
Additional medium-based awards: to be announced.
Publishers’ awards: to be announced.
PLEIN AIR PAINT OUT:
Awards will also be given for a members’ plein air paint out competition during the exhibition opening weekend.
1st Place $150
2nd Place $100
3rd Place $50
Award winners will be contacted by the bookkeeper to verify their correct mailing address before checks will be issued. Any winner whose awards amount to over $600 will also be required to submit an IRS form W-9 which will be provided to them by the bookkeeper.
CONTACT INFO: Questions/Answers/Help
SHOW CO- CHAIRS:
Nori Thorne 240-994-9639 firstname.lastname@example.org www.norithorne.com
Syri Hall (928) 282-4268 email@example.com www.syrihall.com
Contact Nori Thorne firstname.lastname@example.org
WAOW JURYING ART SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR: Contact Margaret Drake with questions about submissions:
JuriedArtServices.com: Juried Art Services no longer supports password log in on your artist account. Log in to your account by entering the email on your JAS account and follow the directions. You will still need the WAOW event password to apply. If you need assistance, or you have a new email address, contact email@example.com