Hoosier Art Salon
99th Annual Exhibition
Indiana State Museum
650 W Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
ABOUT THE EVENT
Hoosier Art Salon invites artists to apply to Indiana’s longest-running exhibit of art by Indiana artists. A one-year residency in Indiana, at any time in the life of the artist, and membership in the Hoosier Art Salon are required. Hoosier Art Salon has showcased the talents of Indiana artists since the first exhibition in 1925. Preview Sales Event and Awards Ceremony for artists and patrons – Wednesday, August 23, at 6:00 p.m. at the Indiana State Museum.
LAST YEAR’S AWARDS AND SALES:
$50,000+ in awards, including $5,000 BEST OF SHOW
$37,000+ paid to Artists for Works Sold
Application Dates: Monday, May 8 – Friday, June 16
All applications must be made online at juriedartservices.com
Artists 18 years and older, who are members of Hoosier Art Salon. JOIN OR RENEW HERE or phone (812) 682-3970.
A one-year residency in Indiana is required at any time in the life of the artist.
FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2023 – at Midnight Pacific Time
NOTIFICATION OF JURY DECISIONS
Notification of acceptance or non-acceptance by email no later than Friday, July 14.
ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS AND FEES
· Annual Membership Fee - $40. Student Membership Fee - $25. All applicants must be paid 2023 Hoosier Art Salon Member Artists. (See above to join or renew).
· Entry fee: $60 which is nonrefundable and cannot be applied to future events.
· All works must be submitted via electronic application to JURIED ART SERVICES by FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2023 – Midnight PT.
· Hoosier Art Salon provides technical assistance to submit entries by contacting Jim May at email@example.com.
· There is a new way to access the Juried Art Services (JAS) website. Access to the site is now with your email address. This process ensures that show directors can reach the artist at least by email. Just enter your email in the login box. Your email address will have a login message. Open it and click on the button. You will be logged in and stay logged in for 90 days, unless you click to Log Out. You will have to contact JAS support if your email address is not on file.
· Entries will not be considered complete until payment is made. No late entries will be accepted.
· The accuracy of all identification information is the responsibility of the entrant: applicant’s name, title of work, media, dimensions and sales price. Check your grammar, and spelling, and verify unframed dimensions. Consider carefully the sales price to ensure it is final and within your current market range. These items are considered FINAL AT TIME OF ENTRY.
ELIGIBLE WORKS - RULES
1. Each entrant may submit up to three works, which must be original and produced by the artist, between January 2022 and June 2023. 3D work may include 2 detail images per artwork.
2. Most types of mediums are eligible: both 2D and 3D – drawing, painting, mixed media, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, glass, textiles, furniture, etc. However, photography and digital art are not accepted.
3. Works must not have been executed in class or under supervision of an instructor.
4. Works must not be straight copies of paintings or published photographs.
5. Artwork previously accepted into a juried competition outside Indiana is eligible. However, artwork previously accepted into a juried competition in Indiana is not eligible.
6. Artwork that has won an award at ANY juried competition – either exhibited online or on location - is not accepted.
SALES – RULES
1. Works MUST remain for the duration of the exhibition.
2. Works MUST be for sale and within your current market range.
3. Hoosier Art Salon retains a 40% commission on works sold.
4. Artists are not allowed to sell artwork accepted into the Annual Exhibition prior to the opening. Hoosier Art Salon patrons pay to attend a special Preview Sales Night and expect all works in the exhibition to be available for purchase. (If someone asks to buy your accepted work prior to the Exhibition, please advise them to attend the August 23 Preview Sales Event, or they can buy online through the Hoosier Art Salon website, beginning August 24.
5. All accepted works will be displayed and on sale at the Hoosier Art Salon website (hoosiersalon.org) August 24 through October 22, or purchase by phone (812) 682-3970.
1. Works must be ready for display.
2. All 2D art must be suitably framed or finished and ready for hanging. Use flat strap wires only; no screw eyes are acceptable unless they are on the inside of the stretcher frame.
3. All 3D art must be stable and safe while sitting on a platform or pedestal or include appropriate museum-quality mount. Delicate items will be shown in cases. All 3D art that is installed to hang must include a museum-quality mount adequately accounting for the work’s weight. Any work requiring power must be safe, need minimal installation and maintenance and identified at the time of entry.
4. Width or height of work including the frame’s OUTSIDE dimensions must not exceed 54” in either direction.
5. Plexiglass is preferred for all works and MUST be used instead of glass on any work that is 30”or larger in any direction.
6. Please use discretion in the size and width of 3D works.
The Hoosier Art Salon and Indiana State Museum reserve the right to determine whether works are ready for display.
Delivery of ACCEPTED works to the Indiana State Museum
Artists will receive detailed instructions by July 14 about delivering or shipping ACCEPTED works for awards jurying and exhibition at the Indiana State Museum.
· Works must be clearly labeled on the back with name and title matching original entry information.
· Works must be delivered to the Indiana State Museum by the artist or the artist’s agent, Thursday, July 27-Saturday, July 29.
· Works being SHIPPED must be addressed to the Indiana State Museum Admin Dock/721 W Wabash, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
· Shipments will be received following notification through July 29.
· ALL accepted works must be in the possession of Indiana State Museum staff by Saturday, July 29, 2023, 5 p.m.
· If you are unable to deliver work during the specified period, call Hoosier Salon (812) 682-3970 to discuss other arrangements.
Failure to meet requirements will result in rejection. Hoosier Art Salon reserves the right to disqualify and revoke awards of any entry found in violation of rules.
Regulations set forth have been adopted by the Board of Directors of the Hoosier Art Salon Patrons Association, Inc. Your entry constitutes an agreement with all conditions of this prospectus. Entry rules will be enforced and final decisions about compliance are made by Hoosier Art Salon’s Executive Committee. Permission to reproduce works for publicity is considered granted. Works will be handled and exhibited at the risk of the artist; however, every reasonable effort will be made to protect the safety of all works of art. Works are insured for 50% of the established real value of each item, subject to a maximum of $5,000 for any one item.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICPATION
Hoosier Art Salon is grateful for your participation. For additional information, contact (812) 682-3970 or visit hoosiersalon.org.