The deadline has been extended until Friday August 3rd, 2012!
Showcase 500 Handmade Books
Juror: Julie Chen
Lark Crafts seeks images to publish in a juried collection of handmade books. Pieces may be narrative, sculptural, or solely functional. While pieces may be abstract forms, each piece must function like a book (opening up and presenting a sequence or potential sequence of images, words, or ideas). Artists may submit images for up to three books with three details of each piece. There is no entry fee. We can accept only high-quality digital images. Artists will receive full acknowledgment within the book, a complimentary copy, and discounts on the purchase of additional books. Artists retain copyright of their work.
NOTE: Please pay close attention to the photographic requirements listed below. Submissions that do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Entries must be submitted between June 1, 2012 and August 2, 2012.
Important: Lark Crafts will only publish photos of entries containing text and images that are free of copyright or for which the artist (or approved institution) holds copyright.
All visuals submitted must represent work that is original in design. Please choose work that reflects the book’s concept. A maximum of three entries per artist is allowed. An entry may consist of no more than four visuals: an overall shot and three details (or alternate views). Comments written about specific pieces may be edited and will be published based on content; comments will not always be used.
As this is a gallery book we can’t stress enough the importance of excellent quality images. We often advise artists that it can be worth having professional photography done even if their pieces end up not being juried into the book, because then they have professional images available for various marketing uses—for website, business cards, brochures, submissions in competitions, etc.
We prefer images of pieces that have not been published previously, and please do NOT submit images of pieces that have been published in any Lark book. Recent work (within the last four years) is strongly preferred.
Your entry will not be processed without your signed initials on the Photo License Agreement. The Photo License Agreement should contain the artist’s information and signature, not the photographer’s.
To avoid delaying the receipt of your letter of notification or complimentary copy of the book, contact us immediately if your address changes: (firstname.lastname@example.org). Complimentary copies will be mailed after the book appears in stores. Decisions made by Lark Crafts on the selection of pieces are final, and notifications will be sent out in early March, 2013. Lark Crafts will only use the selected images in the book and in promotion of the book (in any and all editions and/or languages); see Agreement for details.
Submit only the highest quality images, following the guidelines below. All visuals must be clean, sharp images with good contrast. Avoid sending visuals shot at awkward angles, with distracting backgrounds or glare, or unusual colorcasts. We prefer backgrounds of black, white, gray, or a gradient of these. A “detail” is a close-up or an alternate view.
Digital Image Submission Guidelines
- Digital photographs should be taken at the camera’s highest resolution, at its best quality setting.
- TIFs or JPGs are acceptable. TIF files are highly preferred.
- Do not compress files.
- Digital images must be a minimum of 4 x 6 inches (1200 x 1800 pixels) at 300 PPI. The maximum image size we accept is 9.5 x 12 inches (2850 x 3600 pixels) at 300 PPI.
- Digital images must be between 1 and 50 MBs.
- Files must be in RGB format. (Adobe RGB 1998 color space is preferred)
- Files should be 8 bit, not 16 bit.
- Color correction and retouching images is acceptable, but should only be done by professionals who specialize in digital images.
- Do not silhouette (remove the background from) your image. We will determine if this is needed and have our digital team silhouette images as necessary.
- Do not create shadows. We will determine if shadows are needed and have them added as necessary.
- We inspect all digital submissions for photographic and print quality.
For questions about registering with Juried Art Services or uploading your material to the site, contact email@example.com.