REVISED 11/5/20: ART PROVIDENCE SHOW 2021 NEW VENUE, UPDATED PRICING
As previously announced, the 2020 Art Providence Show originally schedule for November 2020 was postponed to April 30 – May 2, 2021. The deadline to apply was changed accordingly to November 13. No late fee will apply for this show.
Because COVID-19 continues to be a fluid situation, the reopening of the RI Convention Center for ‘normal’ events-related business is also uncertain at this time. After careful consideration, we have decided to move the show to a wonderful outdoor venue – the BankNewport City Center in downtown Providence, located in a high-visibility area adjacent to Biltmore Park and some of Providence’s best hotels, restaurants and more. This venue draws hundreds of thousands of visitors attending concerts and other festival events. In the winter, this venue features a popular 8,000 sq. ft. outdoor ice rink which consistently draws patrons of all ages. This is not an open-field setting: the space has an amphitheater feel, being somewhat recessed and protected on most of the perimeter by buildings, streets and/or trees.
Times and dates for the event as well as the application deadline and jury announcement have remained unchanged since our announcement in May. (See Key Dates below.)
(Image: Pre-covid event hosted at BankNewport City Center)
We will follow the up-to-date state guidelines for maximum occupancy, mask requirements, hand sanitizing, etc. We anticipate a maximum capacity of 110 exhibitors. The ongoing impact of COVID-19 and any safety regulations still in place at the time of the show may require more spacing between exhibitors and for attendees, reducing the number of booth spaces available.
Participation fees have been lowered to $525 for a 10’x10’ space and $850 for 20’x10’. The booth fee includes electricity up to 600 watts. Artists will be required to bring their own tent. Tents must have a top and be closed on 3 sides. A white top is preferred.
The grounds will be monitored by Security overnight on Friday and Saturday evenings, but we do advise artists to remove valuables such as jewelry, etc. and to consider extending a physical barrier across the front of the booth (e.g., rope, piece of material/netting or similar) overnight for added security.
While we welcome Early Stage Artists to apply, due to COVID-19, we will not be offering a shared booth format at this show.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding these modifications.
ART PROVIDENCE SHOW 2021
April 30 - May 2, 2021
ART PROVIDENCE SHOW 2020: POSTPONED UNTIL APRIL 30 – MAY 2, 2021
Set-up and Preview Event – Friday, 4/30/21
Show Open to Public – Saturday, 5/1/21 and Sunday, 5/2/21
LOCATION: BankNewport City Center, 2 Kennedy Plaza, Providence RI 02903
APPLICATION DEADLINES (revised due to COVID-19):
APPLICATION FEE: $35
The Art Providence Show was created in 2017 to (a) replace the Rhode Island School of Design’s holiday show after its successful 20-year run, (b) broaden the show to include other talented artists alongside RISD alumni artists and (c) become one of the premiere arts and crafts events in New England. We’re thrilled to report that the show has been very well received by artists and attendees alike. We’re an artist-driven show, so we prioritize artist needs in support of our mission to ‘help artists make a living by selling more of their work.’ We’re building our show around 150-175 talented artists and have moved our dates to November in response to both artist and attendee feedback, and as a means to get ahead of the holiday rush and further position the show as one for collectors, interiors designers, etc. – in addition to holiday shoppers.
Here’s what a few past participating artists had to say when asked why they decided to apply:
“Enjoyed our weekend in 2018 greatly. Patron response was wonderful.”
-- Fiber Wearable participant 2018
“Great show- participated last 2 years plus RISD Alumni shows; repeat customers and
new customers each year and great vibe!”
-- Metal participant 2017, 2018, 2019
“I have participated in the Art Providence Show for the last two years
and have been exceeding(ly) pleased with both the outcome of the show and the way
it is organized and run.”
-- Ceramics participant in 2017, 2018 and 2019
“As a RISD grad, I've always been a fan of this show and I've heard great things from vendors.
I'm looking for exposure and to build my brand.”
-- Photography participant 2019
“Art Providence is a beautiful, well-curated show which I have
been honored to be a part of for the past 2 years. I've participated in
the RISD Holiday show for many years and happily my customers
followed me to Art Providence.”
-- Fiber Wearable participant 2017, 2018, 2019
THE JURYING PROCESS
The show is juried by contemporary craft and fine art experts (go to our www.artprovidenceshow.com to see past jurors) as well as award-winning artists in order to maintain its level of excellence in terms of both technical skill and innovative approach to the artist’s medium. It also helps to differentiate the show from the myriad of pop-up flea markets, bazaars, and souvenir craft markets that are growing in number each week.
PROVIDENCE AS A BACKDROP
We are fortunate in Providence to have a high concentration of art-and design-savvy residents who recognize and appreciate high caliber work. Many come to support their favorite RISD alumni artists and others come to find something new and refreshing that can’t be seen at other shows in the region.
Providence has a long history leading to its current reputation as the nation’s Creative Capital, starting with the its prominent role in the metal (especially jewelry) and textile industries during the American Industrial Revolution and continuing through to today, with creative powerhouses such as RISD, Brown University, a number of nationally recognized design firms. Providence continues to gain momentum as a hot travel destination due to its unique combination of vibrant food culture, entertainment scene, sophisticated-yet-affordable accommodations, and numerous attractions for a variety of tastes.
Important to Note: The state of Rhode Island has tax-free shopping on the sale of artistic/handmade works. That means that nearly all of the items sold at our show will not require sales tax. This is a significant selling point for artists with customers who are not RI residents and who are accustomed to paying sales tax when they buy your work. There’s no better excuse for a getaway weekend in Providence if they love your work and can buy it tax free.
SHOW FORMAT & HOURS
The show will take place at the BankNewport City Center in downtown Providence and will host approximately *60 - 100* artists in the following format:
Friday, April 30 – Load-in*/ Set-up (8am-4:30pm) and Preview Event (5-8pm)
Saturday, May 1 – Show open to public 10am – 6pm (artists in place at 9:30am)
Sunday, May 2 – Show open to public 10am – 4pm (artists in place at 9:30am)
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS – FOR ALL APPLICANTS
A qualified panel of jurors is assembled each year to select artists making superlative work in baskets, ceramics, decorative fiber, wearable fiber, drawing, furniture, glass, graphics, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, painting, paper, photography, printmaking, sculpture and wood.
All images will be viewed using computer monitors. Applicants will be notified of jury selections on Juried Art Services and via email shortly after the completion of the jury process.
Waitlisted exhibitors are queued for acceptance based on their juror scores and media category. Approximately 85% of artists will be selected through an open jury process and 15% will be selected through juror and management recommendations.
EARLY STAGE ARTIST PROGRAM (ESAP)
Due to COVID-19 spacing guidelines, we will not be offering ESAP shared spaces at this show. Available spaces to ESAP artists will be 10’x10’ (regular) and 20’x10’ (double) at the standard booth fees. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to bringing back the ESAP community booth option for the November 2021 show
HOW TO APPLY
Artists are asked to submit a total of five (5) digital images - 4 that best represent their work and 1 showing their booth display. Work will be juried based on originality, execution of design, technique and craftsmanship, creative use of materials, and aesthetic qualities.
Please ensure that the e-mail address you provide is accurate, and that Juried Arts Services and Art Providence Show e-mail addresses - (email@example.com, laura@artsmartproductions, and firstname.lastname@example.org) are all added as Contacts in your e-mail platform so that communication from us does not go to Spam. Please apply with the same e-mail address you will use through the end of the show.
RULES FOR PARTICIPATION
The Art Providence Show strongly encourages both established and early-stage artists to apply. Before applying, please make sure your work meets the following criteria:
1. All work must fit within an acceptable media category. Acceptable media categories include: baskets, ceramics, drawing, fiber decorative, fiber wearable, furniture, glass, graphics, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, painting, paper, photography, sculpture and wood. All work must be original and made by hand or with the use of appropriate tools. Art Providence encourages one-of-a-kind and limited-edition work.
2. No commercial reproductions of any kind are allowed. This includes embellished commercially made objects and works assembled (wholly or in part) from commercially available kits.
3. Artists are accepted for participation must be in attendance at their booth during the entire show. No agent, dealer, or representative may attend in place of the artist.
4. Collaborating artists are permitted, however, any representation other than a true, hands on artistic collaboration is not permitted. Collaborating artists are defined as ‘artists who assist and/or collaborate with the primary artist on their body of work.’ Two artists working on separate bodies of work may not share a booth or a single ESAP space.
5. Artists may only show work in categories selected by the jury. All work exhibited must be of the same body, quality, and category of work that was juried through digital images.
6. Artists may apply in a second category, but must submit a separate application for that body of work. Only work that has been accepted by our jurors and/or show management may be shown or sold at the show.
7. We ask that participants refrain from using “SALE” or “DISCOUNT” signage at the show. Artists may of course price work as they see fit, including verbal price negotiation directly with the customer, but discount signage is strongly discouraged as it cheapens the show’s image and may encourage customers to haggle over pricing.
Please note: Individual Artists who wish to apply in two different categories must submit two separate applications and application fees. Both bodies of work must be accepted in order to show/sell both types of work.
The application fee for the November 13 deadline is $35 (non-refundable).
Fees and What’s Included:
- 10’ x 10’ Space Fee – Now $525; artists are required to bring their own tent with a white top and 3 sides. No branding or signage is permitted on the tents or their tops.
- Corner upgrade - $200. (Limited spots available.)
- 20’ x 10’ Space Fee – Now $850 (Limited spots available); artists are required to bring their own tent with 3 walls and a white top. No branding or signage is permitted on the tents or their tops.
Standard booth package includes the following:
- 10’ x 10’ designated space
- Booth signage – name and booth number
- Listing in the digital show program guide
- Space location (booth number) listing on exhibitor floor map
- 4 complimentary tickets
- Electricity up to 600 watts is included in the space fee. If your lighting system requires more wattage, an additional fee of $50 will be incurred.
What’s Not Included:
- Standard package (regular and double-wide spaces) fees do not include electricity beyond 600 watts
- WIFI charges that may be required beyond the availability of a free basic service
- Displays, additional cross bars, floor covering, tables chairs or other furnishings
- Booth sharing is not permitted.
- 10’W x 10’D x 8’H booth space
- 8’H pipe and drape – 3 sides
- Booth signage – name and booth number
- Listing in the digital show program guide
- Booth number listing on exhibitor floor map
- 4 complimentary tickets
Art Providence will be publicized in a variety of regional print, radio, and digital outlets including the following:
- Local and regional advertising and public relations including but not limited to outdoor, print, radio, digital, e-mail blasts and collateral
- Bio listing and image for each artist on the show website and in the official online show directory
- Event coverage on social media sites including Facebook and Instagram
- 2019’s marketing efforts will generate over 2.5 million impressions across print, radio, billboards, and digital. Visit our website’s Exhibitor Info tab for details or send us an e-mail at email@example.com with any questions.
*Featured areas on the website and full-page ad opportunities in the event digital program book will be available at an additional cost.
- Application Deadline: November 13, 2020 - $35 application fee.
- Jury Process: November 16-23, 2020
- Jury Notification: All applicants who apply through Juried Arts Services will be notified of their status via Juried Art Services. Please make sure to check your JAS profile by November 25, 2020.
- Booth fees due: The new booth fee due date will be in January 2021; exact date TBC.
Artists who submit their request in writing by March 1, 2021 will be eligible for a 50% refund of booth fees. Artists who submit their request in writing between March 2, 2021 and March 19, 2021 are eligible for a 25% refund of booth fees. For cancellations on or after March 20, 2021, no refunds will be given.
Application fees are non-refundable.
3/25/20 ADDENDUM: In the event of a full cancellation of the show due to force majeure, the discretion of the State of Rhode Island and/or the discretion of ArtSmart Productions, partial or full refunds of booth fees may be given depending on the timing of the cancellation. In the event of postponement or modification of the show’s format (for example, a virtual show), partial refunds will be given based on the timing of such modifications. ArtSmart seeks to serve participating artists with the utmost care and fairness and will refund the maximum amount possible based on what we have already spent or committed to spend at the time of said cancellation.
Please contact us with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.