THE 55th ANNUAL
BLUFF PARK ART SHOW
OCTOBER 6, 2018
Always on the first Saturday in October, The Bluff Park Art Association brings together approximately 140 artists from across the United States for the annual Bluff Park Art Show.
DATE AND LOCATION
Show Date: Saturday, October 6, 2018
Rain Date: Sunday, October 7, 2018
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: Bluff Park Community Center and Park
517 Cloudland Drive
Hoover, AL 35226
Mixed Media – 2 dimensional
Mixed Media – 3 dimensional
Other – Specify the nature of your work
APPLICATION AND FEES
Application to the Bluff Park Art Show indicates a commitment to exhibit if you are accepted. DO NOT apply to this Show if you have any uncertainty concerning your availability or intention to exhibit.
Applications to the 55th Annual Bluff Park Art Show must be submitted online at
www.juriedartservices.com All communication will be through email. Ensure your profile has your correct and preferred email address. Add email@example.com to your safe sender list to insure you receive all communication.
Entry Deadline: May 1, 2018 Late Entry: May 2, 2018 – May 15, 2018
A non-refundable fee of $40 is required for each application received on or before May 1, 2018. A non-refundable fee of $70 is required for applications received May 2 through May 15, 2018. Payment may be paid either online through PayPal or by check. NOTE: Application fees must be received prior to the Jury date. Applications without fully paid fees will be deleted.
Make checks payable and mail to:
Bluff Park Art Association
Renee Schneider, Treasurer
P. O. Box 26012
Birmingham, AL 35260
A 20% commission on gross sales (before tax) will be collected from each artist at the end of the show.
This is in lieu of a booth fee.
TO APPLY: Within the Juried Art Services website, every artist must electronically submit three images representative of the work to be exhibited and one booth image representative of the body of work to be exhibited. Examples of any items that you plan to sell during the Show must be represented in your booth image. A booth image is required. If you do not have a current booth shot, a photo of a grouping of current work may be substituted. Because our jurors judge ONLY on your artwork and do not see your name (blind jury), please do not include your name, your business name or a photo of yourself in the booth image or in your artist statement.
TO APPLY IN MULTIPLE CATEGORIES: Separate applications, images and fees must be submitted for each medium in which an artist wishes to be considered. If only one application is accepted, only work in that medium may be exhibited. Only one application per medium may be submitted. NOTE: Only artists juried and accepted in the jewelry category may display and sell jewelry items. Apply in the jewelry category as well if you create and sell jewelry items in addition to your other work.
There is a question on the application asking whether or not you are a new artist. Answer “yes” only if you have never been invited to our show.
- Artists may present only their own work in their assigned space. Generally speaking, only one (1) artist with his/her original work is allowed per booth. However, if multiple artists choose to show together in one booth, ALL artists showing must have applied, been juried and invited to exhibit in the Show. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE. Non-juried artists’ work being exhibited will be removed from the Show. Anyone intending to exhibit with more than one artist in a booth must have the approval of the Show Chair prior to the Show.
- Art teams and/or collaborators that produce a single product may qualify as a single exhibitor. If you enter as an artist team or collaboration, it must be clearly stated on the application and also in the artist statement.
- Only original fine art may be exhibited. Commercially manufactured items or items made from commercial kits or molds are unacceptable. Reproductions of the artist’s original work may not be displayed or sold (this includes t-shirts). Any work exhibited must be entirely the artist’s creation from beginning to end. No commercial involvement of any type is permitted. This will be strictly enforced. Excluded from exhibition: prints, giclees, commercially manufactured items, ceramics from commercial molds, mass-produced items, plants, soaps, candles, food items, books, CDs, t-shirts, commercial jewelry and any work not created by the exhibiting artist. Exhibitors must display their own work, not that made by others (buy/sell).
- Work may only be exhibited in the medium selected by the jury. Only work representative of that submitted to the jury may be exhibited. Only artists juried and accepted in the jewelry category may display and sell jewelry items.
- The Association reserves the right to prohibit the display of any work which it determines at its discretion, is without redeeming social value or work that is inconsistent with submitted artwork images. Displays will be viewed throughout the Show. Failure to remove such works, if asked by a Show Chair, or abide by the rules set forth may result in the applicant’s removal from the Show and applicant being prohibited from participating in a future Bluff Park Art Show
CHECK-IN, SETUP AND SALES
- Artists may check in and set up either Friday before the Show from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. or Show day from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 a.m. There is overnight security on Friday, October 5, 2018. Your exhibit must be ready when the show begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Exhibit space will be assigned in a park setting. The park is mountainous and uneven in terrain. You should bring shims or levelers for your exhibit. If the weather forecast includes wind, please bring weights for your tent. Each artist is responsible for his/her own display and canopy, and the display booth must be staffed by the artist at all times during the Show hours.
- Exhibitors bear the responsibility for all setup and security needs for their exhibits. The Show does not require exhibitors to show proof of insurance; however, it is recommended that each exhibitor be covered under their own insurance. Please allow for restocking during Show hours as vehicles are not allowed on the streets after the show opens.
- All artists will transact their own sales and are responsible for complying with the state and local sales tax regulations. Each exhibitor is responsible for collecting Alabama State tax, Jefferson County tax, and the City of Hoover tax as required by law. Currently, this equates to a total sales tax of 9%. Tax forms will be provided in the registration package.
Jury results will be sent to applicants by email no later than June 16, 2018. Acceptance notification will appear in your Juried Art Services account under the Manage Application function. You must email firstname.lastname@example.org with your acceptance or declination of our invitation. It is your responsibility to email your acceptance and secure your spot in the Show. If we have not heard from you we may, at our discretion, delete your invitation and offer your spot to an artist on the Wait List.
All correspondence and information will be sent electronically and will state “Bluff Park Art Show” as the subject. We use the email contact you have on file with Juried Art Services. It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes.
Accepted exhibitors are encouraged to select one work at the Show to be judged in competition. The artist whose work is chosen to receive the Bluff Park Art Association Permanent Collection Purchase Award will receive $3,500 and their artwork will become the property of the BPAA. It will be added to the Association’s Permanent Collection which is on rotating display throughout the Hoover/Birmingham metro area. The recipient of this award will also automatically receive an invitation to exhibit in the 2019 show. Although the total cash prize amount fluctuates from year to year, the 2017 total was $12,550.
The Bluff Park Art Association consists of a diverse group of people, all volunteers, who are interested in promoting the arts. For 54 years (AND COUNTING), we have been bringing visual artists to the Hoover/Birmingham metropolitan area (2010 Census Birmingham-Hoover Metro Statistical Area – 1.82 million). The funds earned from this one-day event enable us to continually work toward our goal of promoting the Arts in the community, the schools and in the home.
The object and purpose of the Bluff Park Art Association is to promote or originate projects, coordinate activities with, or participate in, any organization or program which will further the purpose of the education and/or appreciation of Art on the part of the public, primarily in the Hoover/Birmingham MSA.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Questions about the Screening Process: Contact the Screening Chair: email@example.com
Questions about the Show: Contact the Show Chair for Artists: firstname.lastname@example.org
You should enter both email addresses above in the security tab of your email client. Mail sent from these accounts will generally be to multiple recipients and will often include attachments and hyperlinks. Spam filters should be set to allow email from this address to pass in order for you to receive all correspondence about the Show.