ART PROVIDENCE HOLIDAY SALE 2017
SHOW DATES: DECEMBER 9 & 10, 2017
Set-up Friday, December 8*
LOCATION: Rhode Island Convention Center in downtown Providence
APPLICATION DEADLINES: May 23, 2017; late app. deadline: May 30, 2017
Presented by Rhode Island-based ArtSmart Productions, the Art Providence Holiday Sale 2017 has been created to (a) replace the Rhode Island School of Design’s holiday show after it's successful 20-year run, (b) open the show to other talented US-based artists and artisans and (c) become one of the premiere arts and crafts events in New England.
Considered the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution in America, Providence has a long, rich history of creating and making. Known more recently as the Creative Capital, it is home to the Rhode Island School of Design, Brown University, and other premiere academic institutions – all of which enrich the city’s creative community and cement its reputation as one of the crown jewels of art, design, and making in the US. Providence is also a vibrant yet accessible city in terms of restaurants, nightlife and live entertainment. As such, it is becoming increasingly popular as a weekend getaway destination. In short, we can think of no better city in which to celebrate and promote the work of artists and artisans than Providence.
The show will take place at the Rhode Island Convention Center in downtown Providence and will host approximately 200 artists over the course of the weekend, in the following format options:
*Option A (open to all applicants) - December 9 and 10 (Saturday and Sunday), 10am-6pm. Approximately 150 artists will be selected through the jurying processes.
*Option B (open to RISD alumni only) - Saturday, December 9, 10am-6pm. This one-day option is reserved for the first 50 RISD alumni artists to apply and gain acceptance to the show.
Set up for all artists will take place on Friday, December 8. Details TBD.
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
A qualified panel of three jurors is assembled each year to select artists making superlative work in baskets, ceramics, decorative fiber, drawing, fiber wearables, furniture, glass, graphics, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, painting, paper, photography, print making, sculpture, and wood.
All images will be viewed using computer monitors. Applicants will be notified of jury selections on Juried Art Services and via email shortly after the completion of the jury process.
Waitlisted exhibitors are queued for acceptance based on their juror scores and media category. Approximately 85% of artists will be selected through an open jury process and 15% will be invited by the jurors.
HOW TO APPLY
There are two deadlines to apply to the show: regular deadline May 23 ($35 application fee) and late deadline May 30 ($60 application fee)
Artists are asked to submit a total of five (5) digital images - 4 that best represent their work and 1 showing their booth display. Work will be juried based on originality, execution of design, technique and craftsmanship, creative use of materials, and aesthetic qualities.
Artists apply at JuriedArtServices.com and pay the application fee via PayPal at the time of application.
RULES FOR PARTICIPATION
The Art Providence Sale strongly encourages both established and emerging artists to apply.
Before applying, please make sure your work meets the following criteria:
1. All work must fit within an acceptable media category. Acceptable media categories include: baskets, ceramics, drawing, fiber decorative, fiber wearable, furniture, glass, graphics, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, painting, paper, photography, print making,sculpture, and wood. All work must be original and made by hand or with the use of appropriate tools. Art Providence encourages one-of-a-kind and limited edition work.
2. No commercial reproductions of any kind are allowed. This includes embellished commercially made objects and works assembled (wholly or in part) from commercially available kits.
3. Artists are accepted for participation must be in attendance at their booth during the entire show. No agent, dealer, or representative may attend in place of the artist.
4. Collaborating artists are permitted, however, any representation other than a true, hands on artistic collaboration is not permitted.
5. Artists may only show work in categories selected by the jury. All work exhibited must be of the same body, quality, and category of work that was juried through digital images.
Please note: Individual or collaborating artists who wish to apply in two different media categories, two separate applications and application fees must be submitted. If only one application is accepted, at least two-thirds of the exhibitor’s booth must contain the accepted media category.
Application Fee: The application fee for the May 23 deadline is $35 (non-refundable). The late application fee for applications received between May 24 and May 30 is $60 (non-refundable).
Two-day show: $475 – Due by June 17, 2017.
One-day show: $300 – Due by June 17, 2017.
- An additional $150 will be charged for corner booths in the two-day area. An additional $100 will be charged for corner booths in the one-day area. Some discounted booths are available.
- The Double Deal - For artists needing more space, we offer a 20’ x 8’ booth (single artist, single body of work only) for $800. This option is available only for the two-day area.
Standard booth package include the following:
- 10’W x 8’D x 8’H booth space
- 8’ beige pipe and drape – 3 sides
- Booth signage – name and booth number
- Listing in the digital show program guide
- Booth number listing on exhibitor floor map
Art Providence will be publicized in Providence, Boston and the New England area, in a variety of print, radio, and digital outlets including the following:
•Advertising and public relations throughout Providence and New England
•Bio listing and image for each artist on the show website
•Event coverage on social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
*Featured areas on the website and full page ad opportunities in the event digital program book will be available at an additional cost.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Application Deadline: May 23, 2017 - $35 application fee.
Late Application Deadline: May 30, 2017 - $60 (total) late application fee.
Jury Process: June 1-4, 2017
Jury Notification: All applicants will be notified of their status via Juried Art Services. Please make sure to check your JAS profile by June 8, 2017.
Booth fees due: Booth fees must be paid in full by June 17, 2017. The booth fees have been set intentionally low to both accommodate new artists and allow for one-time payment of the fees.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Good luck!