2014 Michigan Fine Arts Competition
Open to artists from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois & Wisconsin
Presented by the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center
BBAC, 1516 S. Cranbrook Rd., Birmingham MI 48009
The Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center (BBAC) has presented the Michigan Fine Arts Competition (MFAC) since 1982 when the Detroit Institute of Arts turned the statewide competition over to the BBAC. Artists from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin are invited to submit entries. More than 100 works of art are expected to be juried into the 2014 exhibition. The BBAC is a non-profit art center serving the Detroit Region, and exhibitions at the BBAC are always free and open to the public.
May 16-July 11, 2014
$5,000 in Cash Prizes
Wed. Feb 12---Online Registration Begins
Fri., April 11---REGISTRATION DEADLINE
Mon., April 28---Juror Results Posted on BBAC Website
Thurs./Fri., May 8/9---Intake: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Thurs., May 15---Award Notification (by email)
Fri., May 16---Exhibition Opens; Reception & Awards Presentation 6:00-8:00 PM
Sat., May 17---Lecture by MFAC Juror DJ Hellerman – time TBD
Fri., July 11---Exhibition Closes
Sat., July 12---Exhibition Outtake: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Participation is open to all artists 18 and older, living and working in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Original works in all media (except video or giclée) created and/or finished after January 1, 2013 will be accepted for jury providing those works have not been previously exhibited at the BBAC.
Online Application Procedure for MFAC
- An artist may submit up to two (2) entries.
- Entries will be juried online only.
- All applications will be processed online through Juried Art Services (JAS) at www.JuriedArtServices.com. Juried Art Services is free to participating artists and includes a detailed introductory tutorial. After reviewing our prospectus and the JAS Tutorial, if you have any questions contact us via email or phone, and we will assist you.
- $40 jury fee (non-refundable) payable by credit card only.
- Entries accepted for final jury must be delivered to the BBAC on Thursday, May 8 or Friday, May 9, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. For shipping inquiries, contact Director of Exhibitions, Amy Kantgias - Exhibitions@BBArtCenter.org
- Artwork must be "gallery ready." Sawtooth hangers and clip frames will not be accepted. All 2-D/wall-mounted work must be wired for hanging.
- Maximum height of any artwork is 9' (ceilings: 10').
- Artists are strongly encouraged to submit art that will be for sale.
- Work available for sale will be sold at the price indicated on the entry form only. No price changes permitted after acceptance into the exhibit.
- A 45% commission is retained by the BBAC on all sales made during the exhibition, to support the competition and the BBAC’s exhibition, education, and outreach programs.
- Each work must be identified with the following information: Artist Name, Address, Phone #, Email Address; Title; Media; and Price/NFS
- The BBAC will accept responsibility for the works of art during the exhibition, but will not be responsible for any works delivered in damaged condition.
- Condition reports will be made for each work upon arrival. Please note the number of parts or pieces per entry.
- Artists wishing to otherwise insure their work should contact their insurance agents directly.
- Work MAY NOT, for any reason, be removed from the exhibit prior to the end of the exhibit.
- Maximum height of any artwork is 9' (ceilings: 10').
- The BBAC is not responsible for work damaged if it is not picked up on July 12, 2014, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Artists whose work is not picked up by that time may incur late charges.
- Accepted artists are responsible for shipping their work to and from the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center (BBAC) and insuring it while in transit. Works must be shipped or hand-delivered to the BBAC. The artist must contact the BBAC’s Director of Exhibitions, Amy Kantgias at Exhibitions@BBArtCenter.org in advance of the shipment, informing her of the method and date of shipment (please reference ‘MFAC shipping’ in the subject line). Shipped work will be accepted Monday, May 5 – Friday, May 9. Works must be shipped in reusable containers with photographic documentation for re-packing.
- Accepted work will be shipped to: Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center, 1516 South Cranbrook Road, Birmingham MI 48009, Attn: Amy Kantgias
- Submission of a work for jurying shall constitute an agreement to comply with all the conditions set forth in this prospectus. The juror reserves the right to a final selection of accepted works. The decision of the juror is final.
- Jury results will be posted on the BBAC website. All accepted work will remain as placed by the installation team and may not be withdrawn before the close of the exhibit.
- If a piece is of a delicate nature or easily damaged, please work with the exhibitions coordinator during intake for placement and installation.
- The juror and/or BBAC may exercise the right to reject any work not accurately represented by image; work that fails to meet eligibility requirements; or work that exceeds gallery size limitations.
Rights & Reproductions
The BBAC reserves the right to photograph exhibited work and use either these photographs or the artist's entry images in both print and electronic materials for publicity, promotion, education, and future grant proposals.
BBAC Gallery Hours
Mon.-Thurs., 9am-6pm; Fri.-Sat., 9am-5pm
About the juror: DJ Hellerman
DJ Hellerman has been the Curator and Director of Exhibitions at the BCA Center in Burlington (Vermont) since August 2012. A native of Ohio, DJ started curating and educating people about art while helping Progressive Insurance build a collection of contemporary art (roughly 8,000 objects) designed to encourage innovation and change. Hellerman and his colleagues acquired 200-300 new contemporary works of art annually, something accomplished by the most aggressive collectors. He studied Modern and Contemporary Art at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH. He loves live music and contemporary literature as much as he enjoys visual art.
Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center
1516 South Cranbrook Road, Birmingham, Michigan 48009
248.644.0866 • BBArtCenter.org
About the BBAC
The Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center has been providing “art for all” since 1957 and is a regional non-profit art center committed to promoting visual arts experiences. Each year more than 500 classes are offered for all skill levels and ages preschool to senior citizens. Throughout the year, nearly 5,000 individuals are served by classes, workshops, art camps, outreach programs, special events, and exhibitions that are free and open to the public (with an additional 75,000 impacted by Art Birmingham, the BBAC’s annual fine art fair). The BBAC also supports hundreds of artists each year, with opportunities to teach, exhibit, and sell their work. The BBAC is a 25,000-square foot facility, with nine classroom studios, four exhibition galleries, and a retail Gallery Shop. The BBAC and Gallery Shop are open Mon.-Thurs., 9am-6pm; Fri.-Sat., 9am-5pm.
The BBAC is supported by the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the National Endowment for the Arts. For more information, visit the BBAC at BBArtCenter.org, phone 248-644-0866 or visit our Facebook page.