500 Figures in Clay, Volume 2
Juror: Nan Smith
Lark Crafts seeks images to publish in a new juried collection of figures in clay. While artwork may be abstract to some degree, each piece must be based on and recognizable as the human form. Artists may submit images for up to two original works with three details of each piece. Note that as a book of new work, no artwork created before 2004 will be considered, and priority will be given to pieces created within the last five years. There is no entry fee. We can accept only high-quality digital images. Artists will receive full acknowledgment within the book, a complimentary copy, and discounts on the purchase of additional books. Artists retain copyright of their work.
NOTE: Please pay close attention to the photographic requirements listed below. Submissions that do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Entries must be submitted between November 26, 2012 and February 13, 2013.
Important: Lark Crafts will only publish photos of entries containing text and images that are free of copyright or for which the artist (or approved institution) holds copyright.
All visuals submitted must represent work that is original in design. Please choose work that reflects the book’s concept. A maximum of two entries per artist is allowed. An entry may consist of no more than four visuals: an overall shot and three details (or alternate views).
As this is a gallery book we can’t stress enough the importance of excellent quality images. We often advise artists that it can be worth having professional photography done even if their pieces end up not being juried into the book, because then they have professional images available for various marketing uses—for website, business cards, brochures, submissions in competitions, etc.
We prefer images of pieces that have not been published previously, and please do NOT submit images of pieces that have been published in any Lark book. Recent work (within the last five years) is strongly preferred.
Your entry will not be processed without your signed initials on the Photo License Agreement. The Photo License Agreement should contain the artist’s information and signature, not the photographer’s.
To avoid delaying the receipt of your letter of notification or complimentary copy of the book, contact us immediately if your address changes: (firstname.lastname@example.org). Complimentary copies will be mailed after the book appears in stores. Decisions made by Lark Crafts on the selection of pieces are final, and notifications will be sent out in August of 2013. Lark Crafts will only use the selected images in the book and in promotion of the book (in any and all editions and/or languages); see Agreement for details.
Submit only the highest quality images, following the guidelines below. All visuals must be clean, sharp images with good contrast. Avoid sending visuals shot at awkward angles, with distracting backgrounds or glare, or unusual colorcasts. We prefer backgrounds of black, white, gray, or a gradient of these. A “detail” is a close-up or an alternate view.
Digital Image Submission Guidelines
• Digital photographs should be taken at the camera’s highest resolution, at its best quality setting.
• TIFs or JPGs are acceptable. TIF files are highly preferred.
• Do not compress files.
• Digital images must be a minimum of 4.667 x 6 inches (1400 x 1800 pixels) at 300 PPI. The maximum image size we accept is 9.5 x 12 inches (2850 x 3600 pixels) at 300 PPI.
• Digital images must be between 1 and 5 MBs (JPG) or 10 and 50 MBs (TIFs).
• Files must be in RGB format.
• Files should be 8 bit, not 16 bit.
• If it is necessary to develop digital negatives (raw files), use Adobe RGB 1998 color space.
• Color correction and retouching images is acceptable, but should only be done by professionals who specialize in digital images.
• Do not silhouette (remove the background from) your image. We will determine if this is needed and have our digital team silhouette images as necessary.
• Do not create shadows. We will determine if shadows are needed and have them added as necessary.
• We inspect all digital submissions for photographic and print quality.
For questions about registering with Juried Art Services or uploading your material to the site, contact email@example.com.