April 17 – 23, 2022
Applications Open: November 1, 2021
Deadline: January 31, 2022 • Acceptance Notification: February 15, 2022 • Application fee: $ 50.00
Art Sale & Reception
Saturday April 23, 5 to 9 pm
Artists on Location a Plein Air Painting Event returns the third week of April 2022. Art collectors and new buyers show strong support for this popular event. Artists have an opportunity to paint outdoors over several days at sites in and around scenic Knoxville, Tennessee. Well-known landmarks will be perfect for interactions with the public from Zoo Knoxville to downtown Market Square.
Artists for this event will paint in and around Knoxville for 5 days. On Saturday evening April 23, artist’s works will be judged for awards and paintings ready for sale during the Art Sale & Reception from 5 until 9 pm at the Knoxville Museum of Art.
Registration is open to professional artists age 21 and older. All applicants will be juried into the event, by an independent juror, based upon submitted images and artist statement.
To apply for Artists on Location a Plein Air Painting Event you must be able to register and pay application fee online through Juried Art Services.
At least five local artists (within a 100-mile radius of the event) will be selected to participate. The total number of participants selected for this event is 26. Winners of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place from prior year and one honorary position are invited into the event.
Requirements for Artists on Location
a Plein Air Painting Event
- Mandatory Check-In Orientation and Canvas Stamping.
- Artists must sign up to paint at one pre-determined mandatory location.
- Artists will provide their own materials and transportation.
- Artists will provide title of painting, medium, location & price for each piece.
- Artists will hang own art in an assigned 5 feet by 8 feet high space.
- Artists will declare artwork was produced entirely en plein air by the artist, with no photographic or outside assistance.
- Artists return to loading in and register works at Knoxville Museum of Art.
- Artist’s to provide all information for each piece of art AND install own works.
At least $2000 dollars in prize money and gifts will be awarded to recipients for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Awards and gifts will be given for Best Landscape and Best Urban scenes, and cash awards given for two Honorable Mention. In addition, a cash award will be given for Artist’s Choice.
- Exhibit Spaces are 5 feet wide by 8 feet high of free-standing drywall board.
- All artwork must fit within assigned space and may not overhang outside of the assigned wall space.
- Artists will be responsible for installing their own artwork. Artists should bring hardware for hanging art, no drills please. All artwork must have appropriate wire (no saw tooth hangers) for hanging on wall and ready for sale. No lighting from home, please.
- Artwork must be two dimensional and may not exceed 50 inches in any direction, including frame. The minimum size canvas (without framing) should be no smaller than 6 inches by 8 inches.
- Framed and unframed art works are permitted. However, unframed art must have at least 1 ½ inch thick gallery wrapped edged canvas and appropriately finished over the edges.
Competition and Sales
- All works submitted for judging must be original and painted during Artists on Location Event. Artwork is limited to 2-dimensional works only – No collage or sculpturing.
- Artists must submit at least two (2) finished pieces for prize judging.
- All artwork will be judged once all art is installed by the featured Artist, who will assign awards prior to opening the show and sale. Awards will be announced during the show.
- One studio piece may be brought to sell but must fit within the assigned wall space. Studio pieces may be of any style and meet framing and size requirements. They are exempt from awards but must be registered for sales information.
- Artwork must all be displayed on the wall. No artwork is permitted to sit on the floor.
- Artists will receive 60% commission of the sale price of all artworks and the Knoxville Museum of Art will retain a 40% commission.
- This event is a fundraiser to benefit the Knoxville Museum of Art, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. All proceeds go to support the Guild’s mission to promote the Knoxville Museum of Art.
Proud sponsor for Artists on Location a Plein Air Painting Event