Sloatsburg Plein Air
Art Event 2021
4TH Annual On Site Art Making Event
Application Dates: January 29, 2021 - April 15, 2021,
Application Fee: $15.00, Notification Date: May 1, 2021
Plein Air is Socially Distant!
Sloatsburg is nestled in the Hudson Valley in New York which has a rich history for artists and specifically Plein Air Painters. Sloatsburg has its own historical claim to plein air painting which harkens back to a rich 19th and 20th century legacy of important artists who lived and worked in Sloatsburg including famed Hudson River School Painter Jasper Cropsey and the prolific designer, painter, ceramicist Edith Varian Cockcroft who had her home and studio overlooking Sloats Pond/Dam.
Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event is NOT only for painters – All types of artists are welcome to apply. One year we had an artist come do pour painting. Another year an artist made wire sculptures. To encourage non-painters to participate we have a Prize Category ‘Most Innovative’.
But, this is a COMPETITION!
Here are some of the rules:
- The artists will have the whole day to set up and paint at a chosen location from a list of a number of locations in Sloatsburg (10am - 5pm)
- The work has to be started the day of the event and finished by the jury art show on date TBA
- Final Jury comprised of a Guest Artist and prize distribution will be on date TBA
- Depending on the conditions with COVID-19 at that time we may have an in person reception to hang work or a virtual reception where the final winners will be announced. This will be determined as we move closer to the event.
- The final winners will be announced by an Artist Judge
- The main location for the artist reception has traditionally been at the historic site Harmony Hall. If we can have it indoors we will but the Laws in NY will govern our activity.
This year 2021 the focus will be on the Ramapo River. The Ramapo River is an area of scenic and historical importance to art history. Cropsey as well as the Hudson River School Painters would come to Sloatsburg to paint the scene that included the mountains as well as the Ramapo River in the 1840’s and 1850’s.
Sloatsburg local community work to provide stewardship of this part of natural history and have compelled the state to protect parts of it from further development. The Ramapo River provides water to almost half of Rockland County’s residents. Having artists depict scenes along the Ramapo River will call to the importance of protecting this natural resource and reinforce the work that the Ramapo River Watershed - Environmental Conservation Organization has been doing for the last many years.
If needed we will be socially distancing everyone during this event. Along with some of the locations around Sloatsburg we will have a number of locations along the river for artists to paint, sculpt, draw, and be inspired by the natural beauty of the river.
*****Please be advised*****
during the ever-evolving COVID-19 era, Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event will be adhering to the State mandated regulated health & safety measures that will be required in May 2021. We will be able to maintain social distance of 6 feet or more at each art making site and at check in. It is our goal to have a compliant event to keep everyone at ease and safe. Everyone volunteering to help the artists check in and anyone attending will be required to follow local government suggestions of wearing face masks and taking proper precautions to maintain sanitary conditions throughout the event. Each artist is expected to maintain the social distance measures and outfit him/herself with any items that maintain comfort with that regard, i.e. face masks, hand sanitizer, etc.
The winners of the event will receive a prize. There will be 3 winners and the prizes will be offerings from the local businesses in the Village of Sloatsburg.
There will be three categories in which you can win:
- Best in Show
- Most innovative
- Best Landscape
Prizes will be awarded for each of the winners in this category.
If we cannot have an in person judging and showing of the final work we will have a facebook live event where the winners will be announced.
- Registration is open to anyone who is capable of attending the event on the 16th of May.
- The art must be made on site the day of the event – it does not have to be finished that day.
- The artmaking process must not harm the environment.
- The artmaking process cannot include fire.
- Anyone participating agrees to be honest and truthful about the work – Artist Oath of Integrity will be signed upon registration.
- To apply for Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event you must be able to register and pay application fee online through Juried Art Services.
- Artwork cannot begin any earlier than 10am Sunday, May 16, 2021.
- The artwork can be finished the day of the event or any time before the official art show and jury decision on date TBA.
Application and Payment Process
- Application fee of $15 is due by April 15, 2021
- Applications will be processed online through Juried Art Services (JAS)
- After reviewing our prospectus and the JAS Tutorial and if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event Committee contact Jessie Taylor at email@example.com.
- Please submit 3 recent digital images of paintings or artwork made en plein air within the past 5 years. Please submit high quality images in JPEG format.
Through Juried Art Services online, complete the application form and follow the online payment instructions for paying your application fee with a credit card.
An email confirmation of your payment will be sent. Your application fee payment will be posted to JAS within three days after you submit your application. Application fees are not refundable. All questions or concerns regarding the payment of your fees should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification of Acceptance
Once the jury process is complete, all artists will receive an email from Juried Art Services directing the artist to log into their JAS account to check the status of their application. Please keep your email up to date with JAS to receive this information in a timely manner.
- Artists will be notified of status into the event no later than the week of May 1, 2021
- Accepted artists will receive a separate notification with key information and registration into the event the week of May 1, 2021.
Cancellations must be made in written form and submitted by email. Emails should be sent to email@example.com
No Show Policy
Artists who have NOT arrived on May 16, 2021 and checked in by 2pm will be considered a NO SHOW and the assigned space will be forfeited to another artist.
Competition and Sales
● All works must be original and started during Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event
● Artists must submit the finished pieces for prize judging either in person or electronically - depends on the COVID-19 response in NY at the time.
●All artwork will be judged on date TBA. Awards will be announced by Jessie Taylor. If that event cannot take place in person we will have a Virtual art showing and live announcement of the winners. If you are unable to access the live stream through Facebook or Instagram you will be notified via email if you won.
● This event is a fundraiser to benefit Harmony Hall and the Friends of Harmony, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. Seventy Percent of proceeds go to support the Friends of Harmony Hall mission to restore Harmony Hall.
● Artists agree not to hold Friends of Harmony Hall, the Village of Sloatsburg, the Sloatsburg Chamber of Commerce, the Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event Committee, or jessietaylorpaints liable to any damages. Art making on site is at your own risk. Please take precaution to make sure you are safe at all times when participating in the competition.
Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event
Calendar Checklist for 2021
Application, Jury and Selection of Artists
January 10, 2021
● Call for artists to apply for Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event
April 15, 2021
● Deadline for application and payment
May 1, 2021
● Entrants are sent formal status of participation in Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event
May 1, 2021
● Artists confirmed for Sloatsburg Plein Air Art Event
● Promotion of upcoming event artists, painting locations and date of juried show
May 16, 2021 10am - 5pm
● 10am: Orientation, Registration and competitor location and number assigned at Village Blend 86 Orange Turnpike, Sloatsburg, NY 10974 - it is best to access the location from Mill Street. Please contact Jessie for further instructions.
● Let the art begin!
● Artist reception and show
● Announcement of winners in the 3 categories