Women Artists of the West
51st National Exhibition 2021
1550 Bandera Highway • Kerrville, TX 78028
February 6 – March 19, 2021
Opening Reception: Saturday, March 6 5:30 ~ 7:30 pm
Application Dates: July 1 – Sept. 13, 2020 (midnight PDT)
Notification Dates: October 5 – 9, 2020
The 51st annual national exhibition of Women Artists of the West (WAOW) will be held at the Museum of Western Art in Kerrville, Texas.
The Museum is dedicated to excellence in the collection, preservation, and promotion of Western Heritage and the education and cultural enrichment of its diverse audiences.
The Museum is located in Kerrville, TX, only a short drive from San Antonio. It sits on prime real estate in the heart of the famed Texas Hill Country. Featuring heavy timbers and rugged retaining walls of stacked limestone, the building’s exterior resembles a fortressed hacienda. Heroic and life-size bronzes dot the landscape of the outer grounds. Inside the 14,000 foot facility, visitors can glimpse artisan work rarely seen today. Floors of end-cut mesquite wood and Saltillo tile are polished to a warm glow, complementing the artwork on view in the galleries. It is a beautiful setting in which to appreciate the art created by Women Artists of the West.
2021 Awards Judge:
June Dudley is part of a Texas ranching family. She is inspired by the rugged landscape of Central Texas, as well as the ranching workers, the cattle, and the horses on the ranch. “I am a country girl, always have been and always will be. I just happen to be a country girl whose life revolves around art.
Painting is all I have ever wanted to do for as long as I can remember even though life's roads sometimes lead me other places.” She paints in acrylic, and her paintings exhibit color, realism, and a love of her subject matter.
Please check out her website www.junedudley.com.
Jurying for this show will be conducted using Juried Art Services (JAS) and as outlined in the Entry Requirements. There are over $20,000 in awards from both corporate and private donors associated with this show.
Exhibition dates: February 6 – March 19, 2021 (Reception March 6)
Application dates: July 1 – September 13, 2020
Notification dates: October 5 – 9, 2020
Shipped work to arrive at Museum: January 25 – 30, 2021
Hand-delivered work to arrive at Museum: January 25 – 30, 2021
Unsold hand-delivered art pick-up: March 22 – 26, 2021
Unsold art packed/shipped: March 29 – April 2, 2021
Open to all Associate, Signature and Master Signature WAOW members in good standing, working in original fine art mediums as defined by our bylaws:
- Paintings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of oil, acrylic, watercolor, casein, tempera, and pastel.
- Drawings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of pastel, ink, pencil, crayon, charcoal and scratch board.
- Sculpture executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of wood, metal, stone and clay.
- Original prints, hand-pulled by the artist. Note that this last category does not include copies and reproductions of original work.
Work created in a class or workshop or with guidance of an instructor is not eligible. By submitting to this exhibition, the artist is confirming the work entered is her own original work.
- Original art work must have been completed in the last 3 years and not previously exhibited in a WAOW national show. Artwork must be based on original references of the artist.
- SIZE: There are no size limitations this year. You are limited only by your imagination and the size of your framing and shipping budget.
- FRAMING: Work must be framed and wired for hanging. Paintings with deep stretchers may be displayed in professionally made floater frames. Finished edge gallery wrap canvases in which the painted image extends onto the edges of the stretched canvas are acceptable, although shadow-box frames or floater frames are recommended for gallery wrap paintings.
- LABEL: Attach a completed label from the end of this Prospectus to the back of the painting.
- GLASS: Neither WAOW nor the Museum is responsible for breakage or replacement if work is framed under glass. Artists who ship glass must cover it with a product called “glass skin”, which is available from the Airfloat Systems Box Company and Masterpak. It holds the glass together in case of breakage in transit, is easily peeled off, and often is reusable. Submissions with glass not meeting these requirements will not be accepted.
- Original art work must have been completed in the last 4 years and not previously exhibited in a WAOW national show.
- WEIGHT: There are no weight or size restrictions.
- LABEL: Attach a completed label from the end of this Prospectus to the bottom of a 3D piece.
- Please use a sturdy 2 or 3 ply box with 2 inches of foam or foam core to ship 3D works.
JURIED ART SERVICES: Associate and Signature Members will submit their entries online through www.juriedartservices.com. If you do not have an account with JAS, register a user name and password on the website. You will need a separate password to apply which will be provided by WAOW. A WAOW Blind Jury Committee will accept or decline entries submitted to Juried Art Services, and JAS will notify artists of acceptance or decline of each piece submitted.
- IMAGES: Images should be in JPG format, between 1400 to 4000 pixels at the largest dimension at 300 PPI (pixels per inch). Sculptors may submit two views per piece.
- MASTER MEMBERS: Master members will be invited to exhibit one sculpture or one 2D work. They will receive a letter of invitation with dates and other pertinent information. Masters may also submit additional entries through the Juried Art Services in the same manner as Signature and Associate members, and pay the jury fee of $50.
- SIGNATURES: As this show uses a blind jury process, SUBMISSIONS WITH VISIBLE SIGNATURES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. You can (1) photograph your work for submission before signing it and then re-photograph it to get an image for use in ads or the catalog, or (2) cover your signature so it is not visible, or (3) remove your signature using the spot-healing brush tool or the smudge tool in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements before uploading it to JAS.
- TECHNICAL HELP: WAOW can assist you with technical issues (resizing or blurring signatures). Contact Robbie Fitzpatrick for help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NUMBER OF ENTRIES: You may submit up to 3 pieces for consideration. No more than 2 pieces will be selected from any artist for inclusion in this exhibition.
- ENTRY FEE is paid on the Juried Art Services website by credit card or PayPal. Fees are non-refundable. $50 is the flat fee for one or up to three submissions. You may also pay by check to WAOW.
Checks can be mailed to:
Linda Star Landon
1465 W. Prestwick Drive
Green Valley, AZ 85622
If you pay by check, JAS will not release your entry to the jurying committee until payment to WAOW is verified.
- PRICING YOUR WORK: Prices should reflect your current pricing structure.
- Artwork juried into the show must be available to exhibit during the entirety of the show and must be for sale. No NFS.
- Failure to send an accepted artwork to the exhibit will result in a two (2) year disqualification period for the artist for all WAOW shows.
- Upon receipt of the accepted works at the Museum, WAOW and the Museum of Western Art retain the right to refuse to display and/or allow award judging of entries due to misrepresentation or deviation from the submission to the jury, inadequate framing, inadequate packaging (such as use of peanuts), or damage to the work .
- Sold artwork will be shipped to the buyer at the buyer’s expense after the show has ended. The Museum will collect shipping information from buyers at the time of sale and will provide sales information to the artist in a timely manner.
- SALES COMMISSION: The Museum of Western Art will pay their commission on sold work directly to the artist on a biweekly basis within two weeks of sale. Of the retail price the artist will receive 65%, the Museum 25%, and WAOW 10%.
- LIABILITY: The artist will be responsible for insurance of artwork in transit to and from the show. The Museum will be responsible for insurance on artwork while it is in possession of the artwork. A condition report will be completed on receipt of works and prior to return shipping. Buyer will be responsible for insuring work during delivery to buyer.
SHIPPING/DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORKS
Accepted artists will be responsible for the delivery of their shipped or hand-delivered artwork.
LOCAL ARTISTS: Please deliver in person to the Museum of Western Art, located at 1550 Bandera Highway in Kerrville, TX 78028 January 25 – 30, 2021. The Museum is open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Pick up hand delivered work March 22 – 26, 2021.
OUT OF TOWN ARTISTS: Artwork is to be shipped via FedEx or UPS to arrive at the Museum January 25 – 30. Strong boxes highly recommended (such as Strongbox by Airfloat Systems or similar brands like Masterpak, Uline, or FedEx Premium Art Box). NO PACKING PEANUTS. Return shipping prepaid label MUST be included.
Museum of Western Art
1550 Bandera Highway
Kerrville, TX 78028
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN THE SHIPPING BOX:
Put papers in a large envelope and attach to the backside (hanging wire) of your artwork:
- Prepaid Return Shipping Label from UPS or FedEx. Art shipped without a return label will not be displayed until a return label is provided.
- Two copies of the Artist’s Biography / Artist Statement. Please include a color photo of yourself in your biography.
- Identification Tag attached to the back of each painting and the bottom of each sculpture. Please use name tag format at the end of this prospectus.
- Attach a photo of the painting or sculpture to the inside of the box. Mark the outside of your box with “TOP” or “OPEN HERE.”
- IRS FORM: Each artist must provide a completed IRS Form W-9 before the opening of the exhibition. The form is available online on the IRS website www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-9 Click on the “Current Revisions Form W-9 (PDF)” and print your form. Do not snail mail or email this to the Museum. Fill it out and enclose with your other information.
RETURN OF UNSOLD ARTWORK OR BOXES
- Unsold artwork will be packed and shipped to artists March 29 - April 2, 2021.
- You can include a return address label and a note indicating whether you want your box returned if your piece sells, and the box is not used to send the work to the purchaser.
ODDS AND ENDS
There will be an online catalog on the WAOW website. A printed catalog will be available for all exhibiting artists and for limited distribution. There will be a $15 charge for catalogs to all accepted artists payable through a PayPal button on the WAOW website or by check payable to WAOW and mailed to:
Linda Star Landon
1465 W. Prestwick Drive
Green Valley, AZ 85622
As it becomes available, additional show and advertising information will be posted on the Members’ Only page of the WAOW website and the WAOWgroups.io, as well as information on hotels, framing, packing and writing a biography.
Opening Weekend Events: Thursday, March 4 – Saturday, March 6. Plans for reception and weekend events are still tentative, but will probably include group dinners, demo by Show Judge, painting trips and excursions to local museums, attractions and outdoor painting locations, Awards Presentation, and an Annual Member Meeting.
We have a limited number of rooms reserved at the famous YO Ranch Hotel. More details will be provided later.
WAOW and the Museum of Western Art will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement.
While we believe that this show will open, we realize that there is a possibility that the health and safety of our members may override that hope. If the show does not open because of pandemic issues, WAOW will carry on with an online exhibition and sale and national advertising as planned.