En Plein Air Art Event
2020 Sloatsburg, NY
3rd Annual On Site Art Making Event
Plein Air is Socially Distant!
Augusts 16, 2020
Application Dates: Feb 7, 2020 - July 15, 2020
Application Fee: $15.00 Notification Date: Aug 1, 2020
Sloatsburg is nestled in the Hudson Valley in New York which has a rich history for artists and specifically Plein Air Painters. Sloatsburg has its own historical claim to plein air painting which harkens back to a rich 19th and 20th century legacy of important artists who lived and worked in Sloatsburg including famed Hudson River School Painter Jasper Cropsey and the prolific designer, painter, ceramicist Edith Varian Cockcroft who had her home and studio overlooking Sloats Pond/Dam.
En Plein Air Sloatsburg Art Event is not only for painters – All types of artists are welcome to apply. Last year we had an artist come do pour painting – Wendy Drews - and the previous year an artist- Ry An made wire sculptures. BUT - don’t miss the fact that this is a COMPETITION!
The voting and judging will happen in a NON-TRADITIONAL way. Here are the main points:
⦁ The artists will have the whole day to set up and paint at a chosen location from a list of a number of locations in Sloatsburg (10am - 5pm)
⦁ Each artist is allowed to have one person as an ‘assistant’
⦁ Every attendee will pay a small entrance fee which will afford them an opportunity to vote - a ballot - more ballots can be purchased on the day of the event
⦁ Each artist and assistant will be given a ballot for voting
⦁ The more people each artist has come and vote for them can give that artist an edge on the final result
⦁ The work has to be started the day of the event and finished by September 13, 2020.
⦁ Depending on the conditions with COVID-19 at that time we may have an in person reception to hang work or a virtual reception where the final winners will be announced
⦁ Final Jury and prize distribution will be on September 13, 2020.
⦁ The final winners will be announced by a local artist judge
The main location for the artist reception has traditionally been at the historic site Harmony Hall. This year we are socially distancing and will not be able to hold the art show in the building - unless there are state guidelines allowing it. We are adding 19 other locations of interest around the neighborhood. These locations include a turn of the century library with stone walls, various natural sites and a few sites onlooking or overlooking local businesses. We will have about 20 different sites around the neighborhood where artists will be situated each with its unique point of interest.
*****Please be advised*****
During the ever-evolving COVID-19 era, En Plein Air Art Event in Sloatsburg will be adhering to the State mandated regulated health & safety measures that w
ill be required in August 2020. We will be able to maintain social distance of 6 feet or more at each art making site and at check in. It is our goal to have a compliant event to keep everyone at ease and safe. Everyone volunteering to help the artists check in and anyone attending will be required to follow local government suggestions of wearing face masks and taking proper precautions to maintain sanitary conditions throughout the event. Each artist is expected to maintain the social distance measures and outfit him/herself with any items that maintain comfort with that regard, i.e. face masks, hand sanitizer, etc.
The winners of the event will receive a prize. There will be 3 winners and the prizes will be offerings from the local businesses in the Village of Sloatsburg.
Registration is open to anyone who is capable of attending the event on the 16th of August.
- The art must be made on site the day of the event – it does not have to be finished that day.
- The artmaking process must not harm the environment.
- The artmaking process cannot include fire
- Anyone participating agrees to be honest and truthful about the work – Artist Oath of Integrity will be signed upon registration.
- To apply for En Plein Air Art Event you must be able to register and pay application fee online through Juried Art Services. Registration fee 50% off!
- Artwork cannot begin any earlier than 10am Sunday, August 16, 2020.
- The artwork can be finished the day of the event or any time before the official art show and jury decision on September 13, 2020 at Bluegrass Festival. If we cannot have this festival there will be alternative arrangements made for a virtual show and prize announcement.
There will be three categories in which you can win:
- Best In Show
- Most Innovative
- Best Landscape
Prizes will be awarded for each of the winners in this category.
If we cannot have an in person judging and showing of the final work we will have a facebook live event where the winners will be announced.
A news article will be written about the winners and the winners will be showcased on social media through the month of September 2020 and October 2020.
Application and Payment Process
Applications will be processed online through Juried Art Services (JAS)
After reviewing our prospectus and the JAS Tutorial and if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to En Plein Air Event Committee contact Jessie Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit 3 recent digital images of paintings or artwork made en plein air within the past 5 years. Please submit high quality images in JPEG format.
Through Juried Art Services online, complete the application form and follow the online payment instructions for paying your application fee with a credit card.
An email confirmation of your payment will be sent. Your application fee payment will be posted to JAS within three days after you submit your application. Application fees are not refundable. All questions or concerns regarding the payment of your fees should be directed to email@example.com
Notification of Acceptance
Once the jury process is complete, all artists will receive an email from Juried Art Services directing the artist to log into their JAS account to check the status of their application. Please keep your email up to date with JAS to receive this information in a timely manner.
Artists will be notified of status into the event no later than the week of August 1, 2020.
Accepted artists will receive a separate notification with key information and registration into the event the week of August 1, 2019.
Wait List Policy
Waitlist artists can be accepted up to and on the day of the show and will be notified when an opening becomes available.
Cancellations must be made in written form and submitted by email. Emails should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Show Policy
Artists who have NOT arrived on August 16, 2020, and checked in for by 2pm, will be considered a NO SHOW and the assigned space will be forfeited to another artist.
Competition and Sales
- All works must be original and started during En Plein Air Art Event
- Artists must submit the finished pieces for prize judging either in person or electronically - depends on the COVID-19 response in NY at the time.
- All artwork will be judged On September 13, 2020 during the Bluegrass Festival. Awards will be announced during the festival by Jessie Taylor. If that event cannot take place we will have a Virtual art showing and live announcement of the winners. If you are unable to access the live stream through Facebook or Instagram you will be notified via email if you won. IF we can make other arrangements to see the artwork in person we will do our best to do that.
- This event is a fundraiser to benefit Harmony Hall and the Friends of Harmony, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. Seventy Percent of proceeds go to support the Friends of Harmony Hall mission to restore Harmony Hall. Invite guests to buy a ballot to vote for you at a local Sloatsburg business beforehand or on the day of the event.
- Artists agree not to hold Friends of Harmony Hall, the Village of Sloatsburg, the Sloatsburg Chamber of Commerce, the En Plein Air Art Event Committee liable to any damages. Painting on site is at your own risk. Please take precaution to make sure you are safe at all times when participating in the competition.
En Plein Air Art Event
Calendar Checklist for 2020
Application, Jury and Selection of Artists
- Call for artists to apply for En Plein Air Sloatsburg Art Event
July 15, 2020
- Deadline for application and payment
August 1, 2020
- Artists confirmed for En Plein Air Art Event
- Promotion of upcoming event artists, painting locations and dates
August 16, 2020 at 10 am – 5pm (Location to be announced)
- 10am: Orientation, Registration and competitor location and number assigned at Village Blend 86 Orange Turnpike, Sloatsburg, NY 10974 - it is best to access the location from Mill Street. Please contact Jessie for further instructions: email@example.com
- Let the art begin!
September 13, 2020 (Time To be announced)
- Artist reception and show at the Harmony Hall during Bluegrass Festival or Virtual Show depending on situation in NY in September 2020.
- Announcement of winners at Harmony Hall Bluegrass Festival Stage
- Prizes distributed