2019 Western Regional
Juried Exhibition Of Traditional Oils
OPA’s 2019 Western Regional Exhibition is being hosted by Sorrel Sky Gallery, located in picturesque Santa Fe, New Mexico, November 1 through November 30, 2019. The Opening Reception will be held on Friday, November 1, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 6:30 p.m.
Santa Fe was designed according to the Spanish "Laws of the Indies" stipulating that the town be laid out around a central plaza. On its north side was the Palace of the Governors, with the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi on the east side. These buildings are two of the many structures that exemplify the Spanish architecture of the city that are so well worth viewing. Other sites of interest are the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, The Museum of International Folk Art, the Santa Fe Botanical Gardens, Camel Rock Monument, Liquid Light Glass (a gallery and studio with glass blowing demonstrations) and the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian. With over 240 art galleries, Santa Fe offers a wide variety of artwork, ranging from emerging artists to historic canvases by well-known masters.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $11,500, including a $4,000 Best In Show.
The awarding juror will be an OPA Signature or Master Signature member.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens of the United States, Canada and Mexico who reside in Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Manitoba, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Oklahoma, Oregon, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Yukon Territories, and all of Mexico, who are 2019 OPA members.
Members that are citizens, both natural born or otherwise, of the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate regardless of where they live. For sake of convenience, citizens who reside elsewhere will compete in the region that corresponds with their last place of residence within North America.
Nonresident aliens who currently live in the above states of the United States or Canada, are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2019 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
Liabilities and Responsibilities
Oil Painters of America and Sorrel Sky Gallery will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
James Bruce, Signature Member and OPA Board Member, will serve as chairman of a Jurying Committee consisting of five Master Signature and/or Signature members of OPA. The results of the jurying will be final. No refunds will be made on unaccepted entries.
Online submissions: Friday, August 30, 2019
- Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Example: 30” (height) x 40” (width) = 1,200 square inches.
- Maximum entries three (3). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
- Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA Regional, Salon Show or National Exhibition.
- Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must be self-painted.
- Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
- No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or any reference you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
- NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
- Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2” beyond the back of the frame.
- Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
- Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
- The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
- All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS.
- An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
- Images should be of unframed paintings.
For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable
painting criteria please visit the OPA website.
Online Submissions — Deadline: Friday, August 30, 2019
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, June 17, 2019. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found at http://www.juriedartservices.com. Click on the “Help” tab.
To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: http://www.juriedartservices.com and look for OPA’s 2019 Western Regional Exhibition.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: $30.00 for one painting, $45.00 for two paintings and $60.00 for three paintings. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through PayPal. No e-checks will be accepted. Jurying fees for online submissions may also be paid by check mailed to OPA if received by Friday, August 30, 2019.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2019 at a cost of $70.00. If you are currently not a member or have not paid your 2019 membership dues, OPA will accept your entry provided that 1) an electronic membership fee is paid by Friday, August 2, or 2) a mailed membership application and your annual dues are postmarked no later than Friday, August 23, 2019. More membership information may be found on the OPA website, under the Member Services tab.
Sales commission of 40% is required by Sorrel Sky Gallery for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist’s current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to Sorrel Sky Gallery, 125 W. Palace Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501, October 21 to October 25, 2019. Hand delivered work must be picked up between December 1 and December 7.
Out of Town Artists: ship to Sorrel Sky Gallery, 125 W. Palace Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501, to arrive October 21 to October 25, 2019.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $25.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating and contacting your shipper for return. Artist may elect to include a return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to Sorrel Sky Gallery. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist’s/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brands, like Masterpak, Uline, or a FedEx Premium Art Box (not a FedEx Large Frame Box). NOTE: Home Depot boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $25 prior to hanging of the painting. Strong boxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist’s expense.
Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped “FREE DOMICILE” or will not be accepted.
Notification will be posted on the OPA website
Friday, September 27.
Deadline for submissions
Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
Oct. 21 - 25
Shipped artwork to arrive at Sorrel Sky Gallery
Oct. 21 - 25
Hand delivered artwork to arrive at Sorrel Sky Gallery
Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 6:30 p.m.
Nov. 1 - 30
Show will be open for viewing. See below for Gallery hours
Dec. 1 - 7
Local Artists: paintings removed during this period. If not removed, a storage fee will be charged.
Sorrel Sky Gallery thanks you for your cooperation.
Daily 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p. m.
Good Luck and Good Painting