Women Artists of the West
National Exhibition 2020
Settlers West Galleries
6420 North Campbell Avenue,
Tucson, Arizona 85718
March 25 - April 17, 2020
Opening Reception: Friday, March 27 5 ~ 7 pm
Application Dates: August 1 - November 1, 2019
Notification Date: December 1, 2019
2020 Awards Judge: Darcie Peet
Peet has had a multi-faceted business career in fine art and design. Her career has included both teaching and work in the fields of graphic design and advertising. Prior to the introduction of C.A.D. (Computer-Aided Design), when development and presentation illustrations were done by hand, her intense study of architecture, color, form, composition, scale, spatial relationships and speed drawing left an indelible mark on her painting. She has won over twenty awards, including an Award of Excellence from the U.S. Industrial Film Festival for co-production of a documentary film, and she has served as a Project Design Team Member at the Children’s Museum, Denver, Colorado.
This exhibit will celebrate Women Artists of the West’s 50 years of juried exhibitions. In honor of this outstanding accomplishment, please submit your newest and very best work. In response to the agreement with Stuart Johnson, the gallery owner, two-dimensional work must be work that has been created after Jan 1, 2019 and that has not been previously exhibited in Arizona. Three-dimensional work must have been created after Jan 1, 2018 and must not have been previously exhibited in Arizona. This show is open to all WAOW members in good standing. Jurying for this show will be conducted using Juried Art Services (JAS) and as outlined in the Entry Requirements below.
Please note that there are size restrictions for submitted work (see details below) but for artists who wish to submit larger pieces to this anniversary exhibition, there is a jury category for this. (Only 12 - 15 large spaces are available and only one piece designated as LARGE can be accepted by any artist)
Please read this entire prospectus carefully before entering work. Mark these dates on your calendar. No Exceptions will be made!
Exhibition dates: March 25 - April 17, 2020
Application dates: August 1 – November 1, 2019
Notification date: December 1, 2019
Shipped work to arrive at Settlers West Galleries: March 14 - March 21, 2020
Hand-delivered work to arrive at Setters West Galleries: March 17- March 21, 2020 (the gallery is open M-F 10-5 pm)
Opening Weekend Events: Thursday, March 26 – Sunday, March 29, 2020
Unsold hand-delivered art pick up: April 17-19, 10 am – 5:00 pm
Unsold art will be packed + shipped: April 19-23 , 2020
Plans for Opening Weekend Events are still tentative, but will probably include Group Dinners, Demo by Show Judge, Painting Trips and excursions to local museums, attractions and outdoor painting locations, Awards Presentation, and an Annual Member Meeting.
Contact persons: Christine Drewyer: firstname.lastname@example.org and Amy Evans: email@example.com.
We have booked a limited number of room suites at the Embassy Suites, located directly across Sunrise Road from the gallery. Please call 1-520-352-4004 to reserve a room if you are coming in a day early on March 25th. If you will be coming in for March 26-29 you can use the link below. (You may have to copy and paste it into your browser) https://bit.ly/1pBFRz3
When reserving a room tell them you are with Women Artists of the West - our group code is WAW (not WAOW) Embassy Suite rooms have two queen beds and a bath OR one king bed and a bath. We will be receiving bids on group room rates for additional hotel options and will update info on the WAOW website as we develop other options.
VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner) has rental homes from 2-4 bedrooms close to the gallery for members who would like to share a space. Link is below. (You may have to copy and paste it into your browser.) No group rate applies. https://bit.ly/2PR1tID
Please read carefully. There will be no exceptions to deadlines, specifications or rules.
Open to all Associate, Signature and Master Signature WAOW members in good standing, working in original fine art mediums as defined by our bylaws:
- Paintings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums oil, acrylic, watercolor, casein, tempera, and pastel.
- Drawings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums pastel, ink, pencil, crayon, charcoal and scratchboard.
- Sculpture executed in, but not limited to, the mediums wood, metal, stone and clay.
- Original prints, hand-pulled by the artist. Note that this last category does not include copies and reproductions of original work.
Work created in a class or workshop or with guidance of an instructor is not eligible. By submitting to this exhibition, the artist is confirming the work entered is her own original work.
2D works: Open to original work completed after Jan 1, 2019 that has NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY EXHIBITED in Arizona. Regular 2D artwork submitted cannot exceed 480 square inches unframed. Calculate square inches by multiplying the width by the height. (For example: 24 x 20 = 480). A variety of sizes is encouraged and if you choose to enter a large submission, that submission is one of your allowed number of submissions.
2D work submitted to jury as “large” cannot exceed 1000 square inches unframed. (For example 30 x 30= 900). When entering a painting into the “Large” category using, add the letter “L” after the medium (example: oil on canvas, L). Approximately 12 “large” works will be selected from those submitted. Only one large piece will be accepted by any artist.
FRAMING: Work must be framed in a professional manner using gallery quality frames and must be ready to hang. Paintings with deep stretchers may be displayed in professionally made floater frames. Finished edge gallery wrap canvases in which the painted image extends onto the edges of the stretched canvas are acceptable, although shadow-box frames or floater frames are recommended for gallery wrap paintings.
Please make sure the painting is securely attached to the frame. A few extra fasteners will help. Add bumpers to the bottom corners of your frame. Attach a completed label from the end of this Prospectus to the back of the painting or to the bottom of a 3D piece. For additional framing information visit the WAOW Members Only page.
Neither WAOW nor the Gallery is responsible for breakage or replacement if work is framed under glass. It is suggested that artists who ship glass should always cover it with a product called “glass skin” which is available from the Airfloat Systems box company. It holds the glass together in case of breakage in transit, is easily peeled off and often is easy to reuse. Submissions with glass not meeting these requirements will not be accepted. No refund of entry fee.
3D works: 3D works must have been completed within the last 2 years (Jan 2018-2020) and MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY EXHIBITED in Arizona. 3D works are limited to maximum dimensions of 25” x 25” x 12” and 75 pounds each entry.
Associate and Signature members will submit their entries online at www.juriedartservices.com. If you do not have an account with JAS you will need to make one by going to www.juriedartservices.com to set up a User Name and Password to register. You will use the password WAOWTucson to apply to the show.
Master members entering one or more “Large” 2D pieces will submit these entries (up to three possible submissions) online at www.juriedartservices.com in the same manner as Signature and Associate members, and pay the jury fee. Approximately 12 “large” works will be selected. Only one large piece will be accepted by any artist.
Master members will each be invited to exhibit one sculpture (per 3D size requirement of 25” x 25” x 12” and 75 pounds) or one 2D work (2D up to 480 sq inches) in the exhibition and will receive a letter of invitation with dates and other pertinent information. AGAIN, Masters may also submit entries for the “Large” 2D work and must submit those entries through the JAS jury, paying the jury fee of $50. You may submit up to three but if accepted, only one large piece will be accepted by any artist.
PLEASE BE AWARE of and adhere to the dates for submission for the sizes of work that you intend to submit!
This will be a BLIND JURY PROCESS, and submissions with visible signatures will not be accepted. You can either photograph your work for submission before signing it and then re-photograph it to get an image for use in ads or the catalog, cover your signature so it is not visible before uploading it to JAS, or remove your signature using the spot-healing brush tool or the smudge tool in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. WAOW has a “Geek Squad” to help you with technical issues such as resizing images or blurring your signature. Contact Robbie Fitzpatrick for help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that even though you may submit up to three (3) pieces for consideration, no more than two pieces will be selected from any artist for inclusion in this exhibition. We encourage you to enter three, as it gives you a better chance of acceptance, and especially if you are flagging one or more entry as “LARGE”. Sculptors may submit two views per piece. Digital images are assumed to be accurate representations of the entrant’s original artworks. Artwork that differs markedly from the submitted image will be disqualified.
ENTRY FEES are paid on the Juried Art Services website by credit card or PayPal. Fees are non-refundable.
- $50 for one or up to three submissions
NOTE! Artwork juried into the show MUST be available to exhibit during the entirety of the show and must be for sale. There will be no substitutions for accepted work. If an artwork sells prior to the show, it must still be exhibited in the show and a commission paid to WAOW and Settlers West Galleries.
IMPORTANT: Failure to send an accepted artwork to the exhibit will result in a two (2) year disqualification period for the artist for all WAOW shows.
Upon receipt of the accepted works at the Gallery, WAOW and Settlers West Galleries retain the right to refuse to display and/or allow award judging to entries due to: misrepresentation or deviation from the submission to the jury, inadequate framing, inadequate packaging such as use of PEANUTS, or damage to the work .
Sold artwork will be shipped to the Buyer at the Buyer’s expense after the show has ended. Settlers West Galleries will collect shipping information from Buyers at the time of sale and will provide sales information to the Artist in a timely manner. Artists with pre-sales must provide the Buyer’s shipping address and contact information to Settlers West Galleries included with the work when it is delivered to the Gallery for the show.
PRICING YOUR WORK - Prices should be on par with your current retail prices as shown in your galleries. Price specified on the entry will be the price listed throughout the show; no late changes.
SALES COMMISSION - Settlers West Galleries will pay their commission on sold work directly to the artist on a weekly basis.
The commission rate for all 2D work is 50% to artists, 40% to gallery and 10% to WAOW. The commission rate for all 3D work is 60% to artists and 40% to gallery.
LIABILITY - All entries will be made at the risk of the entrant. Settlers West Galleries will provide insurance on all works in the show while they are on the gallery premises. Artists are responsible for shipping insurance to and from Settlers West Galleries. Submission to this show gives unwritten agreement that artist may be included in participating artist list sometimes given to sponsors.
Although WAOW and its members will use their best efforts to prevent unfortunate occurrences, neither WAOW, its members, JAS, Settlers West Galleries, nor any other organization connected with the show is responsible for loss or damage from any cause, including unpacking, hanging, or repacking. By submitting this application, Artist is agreeing to these terms.
SHIPPING/DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORKS
Accepted artists will be responsible for the delivery of their shipped or hand-delivered artwork.
It must in at the gallery no later than March 21, 2020 or it will not be displayed in the show. No exceptions.
Settlers West Galleries
6420 North Campbell Ave.,
Tucson, Arizona 85718
Work shipped through the US Post Office will NOT be accepted. Ship only via FedEx or UPS if not hand-delivering your work.
Please include the following in the shipping box with your artwork. Put everything in a large envelope and attach to the backside (hanging wire) of your artwork:
1. RETURN SHIPPING LABEL from UPS or FedEx. You MUST include a return “prepaid” shipping label with your artwork from UPS or FedEx. Art shipped without a return label will not be displayed until a return label is provided, except if the work has been presold and shipping is being paid for by the purchaser. Do include the shipping label if artist has agreed to pay for the shipping of a presold piece. UPS and FedEx customer service will help you with this if you don’t know how to do this. (Call their customer service on their website, or call Christine Drewyer 410-271-2407, to walk you through the process). You will not be charged for this label unless it is scanned when (and if) your box is returned. If you do not supply a return shipping label your artwork will not be displayed in the WAOW exhibition. Failure to provide a prepaid return label will result in a $25 handling fee in addition to the bill for return shipping.
2. Two copies of the ARTIST’S BIOGRAPHY / ARTIST STATEMENT. Please include a color photo of yourself with your statement.
3. IDENTIFICATION TAG attached to the back of each painting and the bottom of each sculpture. Please use name tag format shown on labels included at the end of this prospectus.
4. A RETURN ADDRESS LABEL with your address on it if possible, and a note indicating whether you want your box returned if your piece sells and the box is NOT used to send the work to the purchaser. If you’re using an expensive shipping box, you can request that the purchaser allow you to send a Fedex pickup label to get the box back to you.
5. CONSIGNMENT FORM for the Gallery – will be provided to all accepted artists.
6. CATALOG FEE CHECK: There will be an online catalog on the WAOW website. A printed catalog will be available for all exhibiting artists and for limited distribution. There will be a $15 charge for catalogs to all accepted artists payable through a PayPal button on the WAOW website or by check payable to WAOW and mailed to: Linda Landon, 1465 W. Prestwick Dr., Green Valley, AZ 85622.
MORE SHIPPING & PACKING INSTRUCTIONS
REMEMBER: Work not received by March 21, 2020, WILL NOT be displayed.
- Airfloat or similar boxing is REQUIRED this year, such as a Mock Box, Uline, FedEx, or Masterpak. WAOW recommends using “large bubble” Bubble wrap from a roll to secure the painting inside the boxes. Please keep it simple and pack tightly. Please do not use scraps of odd materials to stuff around the paintings. The staff does not have the time to repack using these materials. ABSOLUTELY NO PEANUTS! Paintings packed with peanuts will be returned and will NOT displayed in the show.
- Put your name and address on the outside AND inside of each box.
- Include a photo of the painting or sculpture placed on the inside of the box – it’s helpful for packers. Mark the outside of your box with “TOP” or “OPEN HERE.”
As it becomes available, additional show info will be posted on the Members’ Only page of the WAOW website along with information on hotels, framing, packing and writing a bio.
We and our committee are excited to be working on this show, and we hope that you and your ART will join us in celebrating this once-in-a-lifetime moment in WAOW’s history!
If you have any questions please contact:
Christine Drewyer: email@example.com Amy Evans: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read all the instructions thoroughly on previous pages and then double-check:
- Go to www.juriedartservices.com and set up a User Name and password to register. Use the password: WAOWTucson to begin your show entry
- COVER OR EDIT OUT THE SIGNATURE ON YOUR ARTWORK PRIOR TO ENTERING. Need help with technical issues such as resizing your photos and blurring your signature? Contact Robbie Fitzpatrick of WAOW’s Geek Squad at email@example.com
*Please note: Juried Art Services WILL NOT release your images to the jury until you have paid the entry fee, so please make sure you receive a confirmation that your payment has been completed.
Artists receive email notifications from Juried Art Services when they have been accepted or declined. Please check your junk folder if you do not see notification in your inbox.