2018 Western Regional
Juried Exhibition Of Traditional Oils
OPA’s 2018 Western Regional Exhibition is being hosted by Mary Williams Fine Arts, located in Boulder, Colorado, September 7 through October 6, 2018. With over 300 days of sunshine each year, Boulder is an inviting city on the outwash plain of Boulder Creek. The area offers over 8,500 acres of mountain parks, including a multitude of recreational activities such as hiking and zip lining. The Fiske Planetarium presents laser shows while the Boulder History Museum gives insight into the local city history and period details. The hand-carved, hand-painted Dushanbe Teahouse is a traditionally decorated Tajik teahouse that was presented as a gift to Boulder by its sister city of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, as a symbol of peace and global friendship. Driving about 30 miles northwest of Boulder you will find the majestic Rocky Mountains. Or driving southeast of Boulder you enter the nearby, mile high city of Denver, with its many attractions. Mary Williams Fine Arts is hosting an opening reception on Friday, September 7, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 6:30 p.m.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $11,500, including a $4,000 Best In Show.
The awarding juror will be an OPA Signature or Master Signature member.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens of the United States, Canada and Mexico who reside in Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Manitoba, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Oklahoma, Oregon, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Yukon Territories, and all of Mexico, who are 2018 OPA members.
Members that are citizens, both natural born or otherwise, of the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate regardless of where they live. For sake of convenience, citizens who reside elsewhere will compete in the region that corresponds with their last place of residence within North America.
Nonresident aliens who currently live in the above states of the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2018 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
Liabilities and Responsibilities
Oil Painters of America and Mary Williams Fine Arts will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
James Bruce, Signature Member and OPA Board Member, will serve as chairman of a Jurying Committee consisting of five Master Signature and/or Signature members of OPA. The results of the jurying will be final. No refunds will be made on unaccepted entries.
FINAL ACCEPTANCE: Online submissions: Friday, June 22, 2018
- Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 720 square inches (unframed). Example: 24” (height) x 30” (width) = 720 square inches.
- Maximum entries two (2). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
- Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA Regional, Salon Show or National Exhibition.
- Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must be self-painted.
- Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
- No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or any reference you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
- NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
- Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2” beyond the back of the frame.
- Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
- Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
- The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
- All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS.
- An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable painting criteria please visit the OPA website.
Online Submissions — Deadline: Friday, June 22, 2018
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, March 12, 2018. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 720 square inches (unframed). Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found at http://www.juriedartservices.com. Click on the “Help” tab.
To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to:
http://www.juriedartservices.com and look for OPA’s 2018 Western Regional Exhibition.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: one painting is $30.00 or $45.00 for two paintings. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through PayPal. No e-checks will be accepted. Jurying fees for online submissions may also be paid by check mailed to OPA if received by Friday, June 22, 2018.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2018 at a cost of $70.00. If you are currently not a member or have not paid your 2018 membership dues, OPA will accept your entry provided that 1) an electronic membership fee is paid by Friday, June 22 or 2) a mailed membership application and your annual dues are postmarked no later than Friday, June 15, 2018. More membership information may be found on the OPA website, under the Member Services tab.
Sales commission of 40% is required by Mary Williams Fine Arts for all paintings sold. Artist will receive 60% less credit card fees. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist’s current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to Mary Williams Fine Arts, 5311 Western Ave., Unit 112, Boulder, CO August 20 to August 24, 2018. Hand delivered work must be picked up at a pre-arranged time.
Out of Town Artists: ship to Mary Williams Fine Arts, 5311 Western Ave., Unit 112, Boulder, CO 80301 to arrive August 13 to August 17, 2018.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $25.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating and contacting your shipper for return. Artist must include a bar coded, return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to Mary Williams Fine Arts. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist’s/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brand, like Masterpak or Uline. FedEx Art boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $25 prior to hanging of the painting. Strong boxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist’s expense.
Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped “FREE DOMICILE” or will not be accepted.
Notification will be posted on the OPA website on July 19.
Good Luck and Good Painting
Deadline for submissions
Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
Aug. 13 - 17
Shipped artwork to arrive at Mary Williams Fine Arts
Aug. 20 - 24
Hand delivered artwork to arrive at Mary Williams Fine Arts
Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 6:30 p.m.
September 7 - October 6
Length of time show will be open for viewing.
October 8 and after
Local Artists: removal of paintings at a time pre-arranged with Mary Williams Fine Arts.
Mary Williams Fine Arts thanks you for your assistance and cooperation.