Showcase 500 Metal Clay Jewelry
Lark Jewelry & Beading seeks excellent photographs of original, contemporary handmade metal clay jewelry to publish in a new juried, international collection in our 500 Series of books: Showcase 500 Metal Clay Jewelry. This book is scheduled to be published in Spring 2014.
We welcome and encourage submission of excellent photographs of your handmade metal clay jewelry in all design styles. The jewelry must be predominantly metal clay or, at a minimum, have a dominant metal clay focal piece, but other materials of course may be incorporated.
All work must be made no earlier than 2010 and the more recent the work the better—we’d much prefer to see your excellent 2013 work over your 2012 work, 2012 over 2011, and 2011 over 2010.
We strongly prefer images of jewelry pieces that have not been published previously, and please do NOT submit images of work that have been published in any Lark book.
We can accept only high-quality digital images. Artists will receive full acknowledgment within the book and a complimentary copy. Artists retain copyright of their work.
NOTE: Please pay close attention to the photographic requirements listed below. Submissions that do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
There is no entry fee. Entries must be submitted between January 15 and April 26, 2013. We strongly encourage early entries.
Important: Lark will only publish photos of entries containing images and text that are free of copyright or for which the artist (or approved institution) holds copyright.
All visuals submitted must represent work that is original in design. Please choose work that reflects the book’s concept. A maximum of four entries per artist is allowed, so please submit your best work. An entry may consist of no more than two visuals: an overall shot and one detail (or alternate view); the detail shots are not required. The primary images you submit should each be different designs. For example, do NOT submit four variations of very similar jewelry pieces; instead, submit one work from each of four series.
Finally, we strongly prefer you title your submitted pieces whenever possible; use “Untitled” as the title for other pieces, however.
Because this is a book of photographic images, we can’t stress enough the importance of excellent quality photography. It is an essential part of our jurying criteria. We often advise artists that it is worth having professional photography done even if their pieces end up not being juried into the book, because they then have professional images available for various marketing uses—for website, social media, business cards, brochures, submissions in competitions, etc.
Your entry will not be processed without your signed initials on the Photo License Agreement. The Photo License Agreement should contain the artist’s information and signature, not the photographer’s.
To avoid delaying the receipt of your letter of notification or complimentary copy of the book,contact us immediately if your address or email address changes: (email@example.com). Complimentary copies will be mailed after the book appears in stores. Decisions made by Lark Jewelry & Beading on the selection of pieces are final, and notifications will be sent out in early January 2014. Lark Jewelry & Beading will only use the selected images in the book and in promotion of the book (in any and all editions and/or languages); see Agreement for details.
Submit only the highest quality images, following the guidelines below. All visuals must be clean, sharp images with good contrast. Avoid sending visuals shot at awkward angles, with distracting backgrounds or glare, or unusual colorcasts. We prefer backgrounds of black, white, gray, or a gradient of these. A “detail” is a close-up or an alternate view.
Digital Image Submission Guidelines
• Digital photographs should be taken at the camera’s highest resolution, at its best quality setting.
• TIFs or JPGs are acceptable. TIF files are highly preferred.
• Do not compress files.
• Digital images must be a minimum of 4.667 x 6 inches (1400 x 1800 pixels) at 300 PPI.
• The maximum image size we accept is 9.5 x 12 inches (2850 x 3600 pixels) at 300 PPI.
• Digital images must be between 1 and 50 MBs.
• Files must be in RGB format.
• Files should be 8 bit, not 16 bit.
• If it is necessary to develop digital negatives (raw files), use Adobe RGB 1998 color space.
• Color correction and retouching images is acceptable, but should only be done by professionals who specialize in digital images.
• Do not silhouette (remove the background from) your image. We will determine if this is needed and have our digital team silhouette images as necessary.
• Do not create shadows. We will determine if shadows are needed and have them added as necessary.
• We inspect all digital submissions for photographic and print quality.