Women Artists of the West
53rd National Juried Exhibition
July 22, 2023 – September 15, 2023
Opening and Awards Reception: Saturday July 22, 2023
Application Dates: January 1, 2023-April 1, 2023
Notification Date: May 4, 2023
WAOW Opening Weekend Events: July 20-July 24, 2023
Carriage Factory Art Gallery
128 E. 6th Street, Newton, KS 67114
Women Artists of the West (WAOW) is thrilled to exhibit at the Carriage House Factory Art Gallery, 128 E. 6th Street in Newton, Kansas. This gallery, known as the ‘hidden gem’ of South-central Kansas by TravelKs, is housed in a two story National Historic Building, circa 1883, a former carriage factory/blacksmith shop that was rescued by the Newton Fine Arts Association in 1983. Restoration began in 1993.
Mary Lee-McDonald, director and curator, brings her 20 years of West Coast gallery experience and love of the arts to Central Kansas where she grew up. Searching for simpler lifestyle she and her family settled in the Newton area where they are raising two sons. Carriage Factory Art Gallery is quickly gaining a reputation as a fine art gallery throughout Kansas and surrounding states due to Mary’s energy and passion for the arts and promoting artists.
2023 AWARDS JUDGE: Kim Casebeer
Kim Casebeer spent her childhood exploring outdoors on her family farm and has a lengthy connection to the landscape. She travels across the United States to paint en plein air, gathering accurate color studies to bring back to her studio. Casebeer believes the simplicity of the landscape near her home in Manhattan, Kansas has helped her focus on strong design in a composition. Her work often focuses on big skies of the western United States.
Casebeer is a Master Signature Member of the American Women Artists, and a Signature Member of the Oil Painters of America and the Pastel Society of America. She has participated in The Russell at the C.M. Russell Museum, Small Works, Great Wonders at the National Cowboy Museum, and Night of Artists at the Briscoe Western Art Museum. She has been featured in magazines such as Plein Air Magazine, Art of the West, and Southwest Art. Casebeer is featured in Art of the National Parks book co-authored by Susan Hallsten McGarry and Jean Stern. Her work is featured on the cover of Fine Art Tips by Lori McNee. Casebeer has work in private, corporate and museum collections throughout the United States. She is represented by galleries in Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma.
The exhibit will include up to 135 2D and 3D works with a small number of larger pieces. Only one piece per juried artist or Master Signature artist will be accepted for this exhibit. There are over $20,000 in awards from both corporate and private donors associated with this show.
Associate and Signature Members’ work will be juried for acceptance.
1. Master Signature Members will be limited to exhibit only one piece that meets the requirements outlined below and represents their best work. If a Master wishes to exhibit a LARGE WORK rather than the smaller invitational piece, entries must be made through Juried Art Services in the same manner as Signature and Associate members including the jury fee. See LARGE WORKS note for limited exceptions.
Please select your membership level when filling out the application. Applications will be submitted via www.juriedartservices.com. Only online entries will be accepted. No mailed submissions accepted.
2. Open to all 2023 WAOW members in good standing.
3. Paintings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, gouache, graphite, tempera and casein. Work must have been completed within the last 3 years (2021-2023).
4. Drawings executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of pastel, ink, pencil, crayon, charcoal, scratchboard, and original hand-pulled prints. Work must have been completed within the last 3 years (2021-2023).
5. Maximum size for 2D: 40 total inches, unframed. Total (united) inches = width + height. Examples: A 20” x 20” painting = 40 total inches. A 16” x 20” painting = 36 total inches. See LARGE WORKS note for limited exceptions.
6. Work must not have been shown in a prior WAOW National Juried Exhibit
7. Sculpture executed in, but not limited to, the mediums of wood, metal, stone and clay. Work must have been completed within the last 5 years (2019-2023).
8. Maximum size for 3D: No size limit. Weight limit of 75 lbs.
9. Not acceptable mediums include craft, jewelry, photography, digital art, textiles, fiber art, or pieces containing computer-generated elements. No reproductions of original work allowed.
10. Entries must be of original concept and design from your own personal reference materials and/or photos taken and created solely by you. No work from any other person’s drawing/painting/sculpture or photo is acceptable. Work must be originally conceived. No work created in an instructional setting. Work created from photos taken by the artist herself at professional photoshoots is acceptable. The artist must be able to provide signed documentation of total copyright should WAOW request it.
11. Digital apps and programs may be used for cropping your reference photos, etc., but no digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. You must draw and/or paint the image on your substrate yourself.
12. Maximum entries: six (6).
13. Maximum of one piece of artwork may be included in the exhibition per artist, including Masters.
14. Work must be professionally framed and ready to hang. No labels from any prior shows. No gallery-wrapped canvas paintings. No saw-tooth hangers. No metal frames. Paintings may be displayed in professionally made floater frames.
15. The artist retains copyright to her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of WAOW archives and may be used for WAOW event promotion. Artist agrees that accepted images may be displayed on WAOW and the Gallery’s websites, Facebook pages and other social and/or print media.
16. All work must be for sale. No NFS. Work that does not reflect the artist's current pricing structure may be disqualified from the exhibition. Work must be available for sale after acceptance and available to exhibit during the entirety of the show.
17. All artists accepted into the exhibition will be expected to contribute $50 towards the show catalog.
18. An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition or removes the piece before the end of the show shall not be eligible to enter any WAOW exhibitions for the next two years.
19. All membership and jury fees are non-refundable.
20. The Carriage Factory Art Gallery and WAOW reserves the right to refuse to exhibit and/or allow judging for awards of any work.
21. By entering the exhibition, you agree that you have read and will abide by all rules outlined in this prospectus. Submissions not meeting these requirements will not be accepted. No refund of entry fee.
JURIED ART SERVICES: All Associate and Signature artists will submit their entries online through www.juriedartservices.com. Masters wishing to submit a LARGE WORK will also need to go through the Juried Art Services process. If you do not have an account with JAS, register a username and password on the website. You will use the password provided by WAOW to apply. A WAOW Jury Committee will accept or decline entries submitted to Juried Art Services, and JAS will notify artists of acceptance or rejection of each piece submitted.
*LARGE WORKS”: Large Works is defined as any piece over the 40 total inches described above. A very limited number of larger 2D pieces will be accepted into the show. If you would like your work considered for this opportunity, mark that entry as a Large Work when submitting. Add “Large” to the title. There are spaces for four pieces up to 60 total inches (example:24 x 36”, orientation optional) and two pieces up to 70 total inches (unframed dimensions).
IMAGES should be in JPG format, between 1400 to 4000 pixels at the largest dimension at 300 PPI (pixels per inch). Images for jurying should be of the art only, no mat or frame and make sure it is right side up. Sculptors may submit two views per piece.
ENTRY FEE is paid on the Juried Art Services website by credit card or PayPal. Fees are non-refundable. $55 is the flat fee for one or up to three submissions. Each additional entry is $5 up to a maximum of six entries. You may also pay by check to WAOW.
Checks made payable to Women Artists of the West can be mailed to:
Don Pedersen, 17648 Fan Palm Lane, Riverside, CA 92503-7044
If you pay by check, JAS will not release your entry to the jurying committee until payment to WAOW is verified.
ACCEPTED WORKS Upon acceptance, artists will receive shipping/delivery instructions and forms. 2D work must be framed and wired for hanging.
• SOLD ARTWORK will be shipped to the buyer at the buyer’s expense after the show has ended. The Gallery will collect shipping information from buyers at the time of sale and will provide sales information to the artist in a timely manner.
• SALES COMMISSION: Carriage Factory Art Gallery will pay their commission on sold work 60% to the Artist for 2D work, 65% to the artist for 3D work. WAOW will receive 10% of the retail price for each work sold (2D and 3D).
• INSURANCE: The artist will be responsible for insurance of artwork in transit to and from the show. The Gallery will be responsible for insurance on artwork only while it is in possession of the artwork. Buyer will be responsible for insuring work during delivery to buyer.
• LIABILITY: All entries will be made at the risk of the entrant. Submission to this show gives unwritten agreement that artist may be included in participating artist list sometimes given to sponsors. Although WAOW and its members will use their best efforts to prevent unfortunate occurrences, neither WAOW, its members, the Gallery, nor any other organizations connected with the show is responsible for loss or damage from any cause. By submitting this application, Artist is agreeing to these terms. No exceptions.
While we believe that this show will open, we realize that there is a possibility that the health and safety of our members may override that hope. If the show does not open because of pandemic issues, WAOW will carry on with an online exhibition and sale and national advertising as planned.
January 1, 2023 - Applications open
April 1, 2023 - Applications deadline, midnight PST
May 4, 2023 - Notifications sent via JuriedArtServices.com
July 11-14, 2023 - Shipped artwork to arrive at Carriage Factory Art Gallery
July 11 - 14, 2023 - Hand-delivered work accepted at CFAG by 4pm on July 14
July 15, 2023 - Hanging of Artwork
July 20-24, 2023 - WAOW Opening Weekend Events; weekend activities including preview events, demos, welcome dinner, annual meeting, plein air paint out and display, judge’s demo and award/opening reception. Specifics TBA on WAOW member page
July 22, 2023 - Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony, 6-9pm. Awards presented at 7pm.
September 15, 2023 - Exhibit closes
September 19-22, 2023 - Artwork will be returned-shipped to artist by gallery
September 16, 19-21 2023 - Hand-delivered artwork to be picked up at the gallery
Artists are responsible for monitoring their emails and the website for postings and updates.
The total awards will approximate $20,000 in cash and sponsor merchandise.
- Best of Show $1,000
- Best of Master Signatures $1,000
- Best of Signatures $750
- Best of Associates $750
Awards for 2D and 3D categories
- 1st Place $500
- 2nd Place $250
- 3rd Place $100
President’s Award $500
Christine Drewyer Award of Distinction (award open to all levels) $500
The Art Life School Pursuit of Beauty Award $500
Nori Thorne Beauty of Pastel Award $300
Victoria Castillo Award of Excellence $250
Show Chairman Award $250
Artists’ Choice Award $100
Publishers’ awards: to be announced.
Award winners will be contacted by the bookkeeper to verify their correct mailing address before checks will be issued. Any winner whose awards amount to over $600 will also be required to submit an IRS form W-9 which will be provided to them by the bookkeeper.
CONTACT INFO: Questions/Answers/Help
SHOW CO- CHAIRS:
Joey Frisillo 918-724-4832 firstname.lastname@example.org www.joeyfrisillo.com
Burneta Venosdel email@example.com www.eaglechiefstudios.com
Contact Robbie Fitzpatrick for help: firstname.lastname@example.org
WAOW JURYING ART SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR:
Contact Margaret Drake with questions about submissions: email@example.com.
JuriedArtServices.com: Juried Art Services no longer supports password log in on your artist account. Log in to your account by entering the email on your JAS account and follow the directions. You will still need the WAOW event password to apply. If you need assistance, or you have a new email address, contact firstname.lastname@example.org