July 31 - August 5, 2023
Please read the entire prospectus.
The Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout (PAPo) event is a fundraiser for the
Frank Bette Center for the Arts (FBCA), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout: Located in the San Francisco Bay Area
Artists will paint the island city of Alameda’s tree-lined streets, stately Victorian homes and shops, marinas, ships in the estuary, views of San Francisco and the Bay “en plein air” July 31-August 4, 2023. Artists may paint anywhere within the specified limits. All painting mediums are acceptable. Paintings will be juried for awards and for sale on Saturday, August 5. During the week there will be a separate Quick Draw event in a specified location and an “Off Island Day”.
Application Process & Fee:
• Entries are processed by www.Juriedartservices.com through Monday, April 3, 2023.
• The non-refundable 2023 fee for new entries of $60 is payable when you apply online using a credit card or PayPal. Unpaid applications will not be considered for selection.
• Print your receipt for your records.
• Submit 3 RGB color images in jpeg format, no more than 4000 pixels on the longest side and 1400 pixels on the shortest side @ 300 dpi.
• Submitted images should represent recent plein air artwork.
• Application deadline: Monday, April 3, 2023.
The Jurying Process
- Artists are selected from all applicants by the selection team. Selected artists will be notified by email and the list will be posted on FBCA web site by Wednesday, May 3, 2023.
Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout Calendar:
• Monday - Friday, July 31-August 4: Artists paint “en plein air” within the Alameda city limits.
• Monday, July 31 • 8:30 am - 5:30-pm. – Artist check-in and substrate stamping at Frank Bette Center for the Arts Gallery, 1601 Paru Street, Alameda, CA
• Quick Draw - Day and place to be determined.
• “Off Island Day”: Artists can paint in Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco. Day to be determined.
• Saturday, August 5 • 10 am-5:00 pm PAPo Outdoor exhibit and sale at South Shore Center. Required. Artists hang as many paintings as fit on 3 panels each 3’x6’: 1 horizontal, 2 vertical. Cash and merchandise awards to be announced.
• Saturday, August 5 and Sunday, August 6 • Receiving artwork for Frank Bette gallery exhibit.
• August 11 – September 30 • En Plein Air gallery exhibit of 2023 PAPo paintings in the Frank Bette Center for the Arts Gallery.
• Artists are requested to submit artwork not sold at the Saturday PAPo Exhibit to the Alameda en Plein Air gallery exhibit at Frank Better Center for the Arts. Participation is optional but strongly encouraged.
• There is no additional fee to participate in the gallery exhibit.
• Commission is 40% to FBCA on gallery exhibit sales, 60% to the artist.
• Friday, August 11 • 6pm-8 pm • Opening Gallery Reception Alameda En Plein Air.
• Monday, September 4 • Artists are paid for August 7 sales.
• Friday September 8 • 6pm-8pm • Mid-show Gallery Reception.
• Sunday, October 1 • 11am-5pm Artists pick up unsold paintings.
• Friday, October 6 • $5/day storage fees begin for artwork left without advance arrangements.
• Friday, October 6 - Friday, October 20 • Unsold artwork shipped to artists. Artists out of area must make arrangements to have their artwork shipped to them. They can leave prepaid FedEx or UPS shipping labels with FBCA. Packing and shipping costs must be paid by artists.
• Monday, October 23 • Artists are paid for Gallery Sales (August 11 - September 30)
Participation in the Saturday, August 5 PAPo exhibit at South Shore Center is required.
• Artwork submitted for Awards must have been created en plein air, without the benefit of photography, within Alameda city limits, and in the specified limits of the “Off Island Day” between July 31- August 4, 2023.
• All painting mediums are acceptable.
• Artists are responsible for framing their exhibited artwork, bringing it to the exhibit locations and hanging it on the displays provided. Artwork with plexiglass instead of glass is preferred.
• Artwork with a finished edge is acceptable. Filament line for hanging artwork and scissors are provided.
• Only those paintings created in the 2023 Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout are eligible for awards. â€¨• All paintings must have the 2023 Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout event stamp(s) on the substrate.
• After the awards jurying process is completed, artists may add to their display of plein air paintings.
• All exhibited artwork must be for sale. Artists set their own prices.
• All sales transactions during the paintout must include sales tax whether sales are made during an exhibit or off your easel out on the streets. They are to be processed by FBCA.
• A 40% commission on all sales is retained to benefit FBCA; as this is a fundraising event for the center. 60% of the sale price is paid to the artist.
• Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist.
• Artwork refunds to purchasers are permitted within 7 days with a receipt; if artwork is in original condition.
NEGATIVE COVID TEST AND/OR VACCINE REQUIRED
• Upon request, by July15, we will do our best to provide complimentary lodging for artists from outside area in private homes in Alameda for the week of the PAPo if conditions allow.
Margaret Fago, Co-Chair-person
2023 Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout
Frank Bette Center for the Arts
1601 Paru Street, Alameda, California 94501