May Art Market at Daley Plaza
Arts & Crafts
Friday, May 6 and Saturday, May 7, 2016
The May Art Market May 6-7, 2016 takes place at the Daley Center on the Friday and Saturday before Mother’s Day. This Friday and Saturday show is set in Chicago's famous Daley Plaza in the "Loop", the heart of downtown Chicago. More than 500,000 people live in, work in, and visit this dense area every day.
Standing 50 ft. tall, the Chicago “Picasso” located in Daley Plaza is one of the most famous sculptures in Chicago. All media and all price points are welcome!
- Staff Support: Amdur Productions staff is present on site throughout the entire festival to assist artists from load in to load out.
- Booth Sitting: Amdur Productions staff is available to booth sit for artists during the festival
- Artist Parking: Amdur Productions works with garages around the downtown area to give artists the best rates on oversize and regular parking over the festival weekend.
- Tent Rental: Artists may rent tents and tables through the festival. Tents are commercial grade and rental includes delivery, set up, weights and removal.
- Security: Over-night security is provided.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- March 14, 2016: Applications due
- March 21, 2016: Notifications
- April 4, 2016: Registration forms and show fees due
- May 6-7, 2016: May Art Market at Daley Plaza
- All artwork submitted to the jury process, displayed and presented for sale must be designed and executed by the accepted artist.
- Artist certifies that jury images submitted represent his/her current original work.
- Art collaborators that produce a single product may qualify as a single exhibitor. Such a team may consist of up to two people. If you enter as a collaboration, it must be clearly noted on the application and the collaborative effort must be clearly defined. Both artists must be present during all festival hours.
- Buy/sell vendors are strictly prohibited from all or part of an artist’s booth.
- Artwork created from commercial molds, mass-produced kits, embellished objects or other commercial methods or artwork produced in studios involved in volume production will not be permitted.
- Acceptance is non-transferable.
- May Art Market is a drug-free environment.
- No smoking is allowed in artists booths.
- Accepted artists must be present and exhibit during all festival hours. No agents, representatives, family members or friends are permitted as a substitute for the accepted artists’ attendance.
- Any artist closing his/her booth prior to the end of the show will not be permitted to return the next day or in subsequent years (unless illness so requires).
- Only artwork or crafts in the category accepted through the jury process are allowed to be exhibited. It is the exclusive right and responsibility of the Festival Committee to remove work that is not in compliance with the festival policies and requirements.
- Discount/sales signs, ribbons and awards from other shows are not allowed.
- Each exhibitor is responsible to collecting and remitting local sales tax to the State’s Department of Revenue as required by law.
Reproduction and Limited Edition Prints Policy
Fine art reproductions must be clearly and individually labeled as a limited edition which is signed and numbered on the front of each piece. The method of reproduction and brief process description must be on the back. Browse bins may be used, but reproductions may not be mixed with originals. Framed reproductions may be hung on one wall not to exceed a total of ten linear feet. No laser prints or photo copies permitted.
Limited Edition Prints are printed works for which the artist hand manipulates the plates, stones or screens and which have been properly signed and numbered as a limited edition are. These hand pulled prints are considered to be originals. Printmakers are encouraged to identify their process.
Jury and Exhibit Space Fees
$10 Jury Fee (non-refundable)
$350 Exhibit Space Fee
Applications will be processed online through Juried Art Services (JAS) at www.juriedartservices.com. Juried Art Services is free to participating artists and includes a detailed introductory tutorial. After reviewing our prospectus and the JAS Tutorial, if you have any questions contact us via email or phone, and we will assist you with the process of applying to our festivals.
When applying in two categories, work in each must be substantially different. Four images of the work and one of the display must be submitted for each category. A separate jury fee is required for each category.
Online jury payments are processed directly by Amdur Productions through a secure payment system. Email confirmation of your payment will be sent. Please follow online payment instructions if paying your jury fee with a credit card. Your jury fee payment will be posted to JAS within three days after you submit your application. All questions or concerns regarding the payment of your fees should be directed to the office at 847-926-4300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If paying with a cashier’s check or money order (US currency only) please send via US mail no later than 7 days after the submission of your online application. Applications will not be processed or forwarded on to our jury unless your jury fee is paid in full. The non-refundable jury fee check will be deposited on receipt. No personal or business checks please.
All checks are to be made payable to “Amdur Productions” and sent to:
PO Box 550
Highland Park, IL 60035
Please note the festival title on your cashier’s check.
Spaces are 10’ X 10’ and work must be contained within the assigned space. You may not infringe on another space physically or audibly. Exhibitors must have a white tent unless exempted by festival director. All tables must be skirted to the ground. Only one artist’s work or the work of two collaborating artists may be displayed per booth. Artist must keep their area clean and orderly. Double spaces are considered.
An artist requesting a corner must either have the corner open or use the outside wall to display art.
Special booth space or special needs requests will be accepted but not guaranteed. We will make every effort to meet all special requests on a first come, first served basis. Additional charges may apply. Please include all booth requests on the registration form.
During the festival, all exhibits will be visited by a festival representative to ensure that they are in compliance with our festival policies. It is the exclusive right and responsibility of the Festival Staff to call for the removal of work that is not in compliance with the festival policies and requirements. Non-compliance may result in expulsion from the festival or refusal of future festival participation.
All canopies are required to be white and able to withstand winds and rain and be properly weighted. Properly weighted is AT LEAST 40 pounds per leg and will need more in windy weather. You must respect the clearance of all fire lanes. If there is a requirement, Amdur Productions will let you know.
Jury and Selection Process
The artistic work submitted by each artist is juried based on the criteria listed below:
- Body of Work: How well the images represent a point of view
- Artistic Theme: design, vision, creativity
- Technical Competence: technique, skill, degree of difficulty, mastery of materials used
Notification and Booth Fee Payment
Once the jury process is complete, all artists will receive an email from Juried Art Services directing the artist to log into their JAS account to check the status of their application. Please keep your email up to date with JAS to receive this information in a timely manner.
Notification of status will be emailed March 21, 2016. Accepted artists will be required to submit at least half of their booth fee payment by the deadline date of April 4, 2016 for participation. If the booth fee is not received by the deadline date, the artist may forfeit his/her participation in the festival.
Credit card payments are processed directly by Amdur Productions. All questions or concerns regarding the payment of your fees should be directed to our accounting office at 847-926-4300.
If paying with a check or money order (US Currency only) please send via US mail no later than 14 days after the notification date. Include artist’s name and name of festival on your check. No personal or business checks please.
All checks are to be made payable to “Amdur Productions” and sent to:
PO Box 550
Highland Park, IL 60035
If you have any questions regarding status notification or our payment process please contact us.
Categories - All artists must apply to a category
2D – Original two-dimensional work including graphite, charcoal, chalk, pastels, wax crayon, inks, and washes. All work must be framed and finished. 2D Artists must have panels in your booth.
3D Functional – Dimensional work that has a function – such as wearable fiber or wood furniture.
3D Non Functional – Art that serves an aesthetic not functional purpose. Generally “sculptures.”
Painting – Original, two-dimensional work created with pigment, including oils, acrylics, watercolor, egg tempura, etc.
Photography – Signed prints created by the artist from his/her own original negative or digital files that have been processed by that artist or under the artist’s direct supervision.
Jewelry Maker – Primarily assembling bought components such as beads to make strung jewelry. Repurposing objects, old jewelry, watches, coins.
Jewelry Designer – Designs jewelry and has others execute the jewelry. Typically work in gold, silver, cast and precious metals (fabricated or cast) and semi-precious and precious stones.
Jewelry Maker & Designer – Designs the work and executes the jewelry making process from start to finish. Includes artists making their own beads. Includes artists making needle-weaving complex pieces, wire wrapping, and chainmaille. Works in gold, silver, and precious metals (fabricated or cast), and semi-precious and precious stones.
Sub-categories – All artists must select a sub-category
Ceramics – Original shaped and fired clay (including earthenware, porcelain, stoneware and terracotta)
Fiber – Original work created by the artist from fibers/fabric or leather including batik, basketry, weaving, and quilt-making. No factory produced items are permitted.
Furniture – Original work in any material which is functional as a piece of functional furniture or home accessory.
Glass – Original work created in glass by the artist including blown glass, fused glass or stained glass.
Print Making - Prints manually created by the artist using plates, stones or screens which have been signed and numbered.
Metal – Original work created by the artist without use of a production studio.
Mixed Media – Includes collage and handmade paper; incorporates more than one type of material. Generally flat, wall hung art.
Wood – Original hand-tooled, machine worked, built-up, turned or carved work in wood.
Acrylic Paint – Applied to a surface in any way
Acrylic Resin – Applied to a surface in any way
Batik – Technique used on fabric
Collage – Variety of materials applied to a surface
Drawing – Charcoal, graphite, and color pencils applied to a surface
Egg Tempera – Applied to a surface in any way
Gold and/or Silver – Precious metal or precious metal clay used in jewelry
Leather – Primary material used
Oil Paint – Applied to a surface in any way
Paper – Hand made
Pastel – Dry pigments applied to a surface
Photo – Black & white, color, black and white & color, hand color, digital. Select the area the majority of your work is in
Stone – Carved
Watercolor – Applied in any way
Other - If your category is not represented, you may add your own
An Artist Statement describing the technique, materials, and processes used in the creation of your entire body of work must be included with each Juried Art Services entry. Co-artists must describe the collaboration. Your Artist Statement may be used in the promotion of the festival through public relations efforts and should be no longer than a maximum of 1000 characters (including punctuation and spacing).
Wait List Policy
A wait list is selected from the jury's scores in each category, and wait listed artists are invited as cancellations occur in that particular category. Wait list artists can be accepted up to and on the day of the show and will be notified by phone and email when a booth becomes available.
Cancellations must be made in written form and submitted by mail, fax, or email. Emails should be sent to the Artists Director, Caitlin, at email@example.com.
Booth fee transfers to next year’s festival will be determined on a per case basis.
No Show Policy
Artists who have not checked in and/or notified Amdur Productions with a message via festival phone (224-619-4089), office phone (847-926-4300), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 7:00 am Saturday (first day of festival) will be considered a NO SHOW and the assigned space will be forfeited with no refund.
By applying to this festival, I hereby certify that these images represent my original work, and that the work is unique and made by me. I also agree to follow all festival rules as outlined in the prospectus. In partnership situations, we declare that our combined efforts made every individual piece of work we would exhibit, if accepted. I/We also agree to allow images of my/our work to be used in the event related to publicity and or materials.