Southern Watercolor Society
38th Annual Juried Exhibition 2015
Customs House Museum (CHM)
200 South Second Street
Clarksville, Tennessee 37040
Entry Deadline: January 23, 2015
Artists participating in the juried competition must be 2015 members of the Southern Watercolor Society and reside in the District of Columbia or one of the following southern states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia or West Virginia. Members in good standing who have moved from these states remain eligible. Dues are $30.00 and may be paid online at www.southernwatercolorsociety.org . Also at the end of the online application, applicants will have the choice of paying the application fee plus membership dues ($65.00), or only the application fee ($30.00) if membership dues have already been paid.
• Paintings are limited to water-based media (no water soluble oil or pastel products) painted on paper, watercolor board or YUPO, unvarnished.
• Collage is acceptable if it consists only of paper painted by the artist (no newsprint, photos, digital images, giclées, 3-D objects, gold leaf or metal).
• Paintings must be original in composition and design and not copies of other artist’s work, including photographs by persons other than the artist. Paintings completed under supervision or in a workshop are ineligible.
• Image size may be no smaller than 12” in either direction. Framed size maximum is 44” in either direction.
• All works must have been completed after September 2012 and not have been accepted into previous SW exhibitions.
• Juried paintings will be rejected if they do not conform to the above specifications.
Customs House Museum, 200 South Second St., Clarksville, Tennessee 37040
Clarksville is the fifth largest city in Tennessee after Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Located in the heart of historic downtown Clarksville, Tennessee, The Customs House Museum is the Tennessee’s second largest general museum. With over 35,000 square feet of exhibit space, the museum features large gallery space with fine art, science and history. CHM is open Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Sunday, 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
For more about CHM, visit www.customshousemuseum.org
For more about Clarksville, visit www.cityofclarksville.com
Juror/Workshop Instructor: Kathleen Conover, AWS, NWS, ISEA, TWSA
Master Artist, Kathleen Conover exhibits her work, juries exhibitions, gives demonstrations, and teaches in-depth workshops. She has been juried into more than 100 exhibitions, receiving national and international recognition for the vision, innovative techniques, and fearless expression that give rise to her
unique designs. Painting with openness to her subject matter, she is guided by intense observation and deep personal reflection. The result is rich symbolic layers of literal and figurative design.
For more information about Kathleen Conover visit: www.kathleenconover.com
Kathleen Conover Workshop:
CHAOS TO ORDER
Kathleen Conover will instruct a workshop for the Southern Watercolor Society, May 12-15, 2015 at the Customs House Museum, Clarksville, TN in conjunction with the 38th Southern Watercolor Society Annual Juried Exhibition. The cost for the 4-day workshop is $350. Space is limited to 15 participants. To participate contact, Tuva Stephens, Event Chairperson to receive an application and supply list: firstname.lastname@example.org 731-352-5852. A deposit of $175 must accompany the application. The balance must be paid by April 11, 2015. Mail the application and check, made out to the Southern Watercolor Society, to Tuva Stephens, 190 David Ct., McKenzie, TN 38201
The visual transformation from chaos to order is the best way to explain Kathleen’s most commonly used approach to painting. Working spontaneously, intuitively and without expectations she combines color and gestural mark making to begin the layering process of my paintings. She reminds her students, “this is the stage in a painting to best capture the creative energy of the initial inspiration.” This is the beginning “chaos” and this is also where she lets the spirit of the fluid watercolor have a say: the paint flows, the colors mix and the sedimentary and stain pigments interact in magical ways that she could never create with her own hand. Order is brought to the understructure and building visual depth with each layer. She gradually introduces her imagery until the paining (whether representational or abstract) is complete, the composition dramatic and the message subtle.
38th Calendar, 2015
January 9 – Application Entry deadline (Membership dues must be paid separately.)
February 13 - Accept/Decline notification
April 27- May 1: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM – Hand delivered and shipped works to arrive at CHM
May 8- July 5 - Show Dates
May 11 – Juror’s Selection of Awards
May 12 – 15 – Kathleen Conover Workshop at CHM
May 16 - Members Meeting, Luncheon, Demonstration and Awards Reception
July 6-8: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM - Pick up of hand delivered work
Week of July 13 - Return Shipping of paintings
Entry Deadline: January 9, 2015
Artists with dues paid for may submit up to two painting images with a non-refundable entry fee of $35. Dues may be paid online at www.southernwatercolorsociety.org . No more than one painting per entrant will be selected for this exhibition.
Acceptance into three exhibitions earns Artist Signature Membership (SW). Acceptance into ten exhibitions earns Life Membership. (LM pays no dues.)
JPEG Image Specifications:
• Submit the highest quality image in JPEG format
• Minimum resolution: 300 ppi
• Minimum of 1800 pixels on the longest side
• Size not to exceed: 3 MB
• Crop out all matting
• Correctly orient the image as viewed, vertical or horizontal
• Rename the image with the entry number 1 or 2 then the correct title for the painting (1-Joyful Smiles). Since the image will be uploaded to your JAS account, do not add your name. JAS will assign it an identification number.
SW reserves the right to reject any juried painting that is noticeable different from the JPEG image or does not comply with entry specifications.
All applicants must be current 2015 members of the Southern Watercolor Society. Membership dues may be renewed online using PayPal at www.southernwatercolorsociety.org . Membership dues may also be paid online through Juried Art Services along with the application fee.
All entry applications will be submitted online through Juried Art Services. A link to the application can be found at www.southernwatercolorsociety.org. To make this process easy, first prepare your images for uploading. Then click on the JAS logo to obtain the SW application. Set up or log into an account with JAS. Once that is done, fill out and submit you application to the 38th Southern Watercolor Society Annual Juried Exhibition for 2015. Submit your $35.00 application fee via PayPal, or submit your $65.00 membership dues plus application fee via PayPal. Look for the drop down box when paying to make the right choice.
For Technical Assistance, contact email@example.com or call 561-832-0480 to speak with a "live" person.
• Minimum image size at least 12” per side, length and width. Use white or light neutral mat with the image visible within the opening of the mat. Maximum frame size cannot exceed 44” x 44”.
• Maximum width of the frame molding cannot exceed one and one-half (1.5) inches. Molding must be simple, unadorned light colored wood, or metal in gold, silver or black. No decorative corners.
• Painting must be protected with Plexiglas or acrylic glazing. NO glass. Frame must be ready to hang with wire in place. NO “saw tooth” hangers.
• Accepted paintings must be shipped in a reusable box via UPS or FedEx including PREPAID return shipping labels. Return labels must include a bar code.
• Shipping artwork in Airfloat or U-LINE boxes is strongly recommended. No wooden boxes. No screws or nails. No peanuts.
• Additional instructions for shipping to Clarksville, Tennessee will be included with acceptance notification.
NO hanging fee is required by CHM.
• Paintings will be for sale unless specified NFS by the artist. The Customs House Museum will not collect a commission on the sale of paintings. CHM will coordinate the potential buyer deal directly with the artist. The artist will then be responsible for all taxes. Works sold will remain in the gallery until the completion of the show. The purchaser and artist will make arrangements for delivery of the artwork to the purchaser at the purchaser’s expense.
• No price changes can be made after acceptance into the exhibition.
Submission of the entry shall serve as an agreement by the artist that all conditions in this prospectus have been met. The Southern Watercolor Society (SW) and its officers and the Customs House Museum and its representatives and employees are released and discharged of any and all claims made by damage or loss of the painting while in the possession of SW or CHM. Each artist must carry their own insurance for shipping damage and/or damage during the exhibit.
Images of selected art will be used in the SW catalog, for publicity, for educational purposes and on the organizations’ websites at the discretion of the SW Board. No work accepted for the SW Annual Exhibition may be withdrawn prior to close of the exhibit. Suspension of membership privileges for one year will be enforced for: 1. Failure to submit an accepted painting, 2. Submission of artwork other than the one that was juried into the SW Exhibit, 3. Submission of a painting already accepted in a previous SW show.
The Southern Watercolor Society has adopted the following policy relating to acceptance/display in any juried exhibition:
“Any SW member who attempts to influence, intimidate and/or harass a judge, exhibitor, Board member, or exhibition committee member can be banned from the current show and from future entry into SW exhibitions by a vote of the Board. The juror’s decision will be final for the accepted paintings as will be the judge’s decision for awards.”
SW membership dues must be current for 2015 to be eligible for the exhibition and/or receiving an award.
A link to the application via Juried Arts Services can be found on the Southern Watercolor Society’s Website, www.southernwatercolorsociety.org