The Twenty-Eighth Annual National Juried Exhibition Of Traditional Oils
Oil Painters of America’s is pleased to announce that the Twenty-Eighth National Exhibition and Convention will be hosted by Illume Gallery of Fine Art, located in Saint George, Utah, from May 10 through June 7, 2019. Convention activities begin on May 6, with a Wet Paint Competition in both studio and plein air divisions. Cash and merchandise awards for the Wet Paint competition will be a minimum of $10,000. The opening reception for artists, collectors, the public and the press will be held on Friday, May 10, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., with the awards presentation taking place at 7:30 p.m. Many informative and educational seminars are being planned for the convention, preceding the opening of the exhibition.
Located in the southwest corner of Utah, Saint George offers a variety of activities, such as skydiving, zip lining and fishing. Snow Canyon State Park and Zion National Park are nearby for those who enjoy hiking, rock climbing and beautiful scenery. Real dinosaur tracks may be viewed at the Saint George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm and the Rosenbruch Wildlife Museum offers displays of wildlife habitats in Africa, Asia, South America and other continents. Or travel to tour the once prosperous mining town of Silver Reef, less than 20 miles way. All-in-all, there is lots to do in Saint George and the surrounding area.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $100,000, including a $25,000 Best In Show.
The awarding juror will be an OPA Master Signature member.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens – both natural born or otherwise - of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2019 OPA members. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2019 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
Liabilities and Responsibilities
Oil Painters of America and Illume Gallery of Fine Art will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
· Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 1200 square inches (unframed).
Example: 30” (height) x 40” (width) = 1200 square inches.
· Maximum entries three (3). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
· Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA National Exhibition.
· Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must have been self-painted.
· Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
· No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or of any reference to which you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
· NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
· Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2” beyond the back of the frame.
· Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
· Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
· The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
· All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS.
· An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable painting criteria please visit the OPA website.
Online Submissions — Deadline: Friday, January 25, 2019
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, November 12, 2018 and extend through Friday, January 25, 2019. Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found at http://www.juriedartservices.com. Click on the “Help” tab.
To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: http://www.juriedartservices.com and look for OPA’s 2019 National Exhibition.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: one painting is $30.00, two paintings are $45.00 or three paintings are $60. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through PayPal. No e-checks will be accepted. Jurying fees for online submissions may also be paid by check mailed to OPA if received by Friday, January 25, 2019.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2019 at a cost of $70.00. If you are currently not a member or have not paid your 2019 membership dues, OPA will accept your entry provided that 1) an electronic membership fee is paid by Friday, January 25 or 2) a mailed membership application and your annual dues are postmarked no later than Friday, January 11, 2019. More membership information may be found on the OPA website, under the Member Services tab.
Sales commission of 40% is required by the gallery for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist’s current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to Illume Gallery of Fine Art, 29 West 200 North, Saint George, UT 84770 from April 15 to April 19, 2019. Hand delivered work must be picked up between June 10 and June 14, 2019.
Out of Town Artists: ship to Illume Gallery of Fine Art, 29 West 200 North, Saint George, UT 84770 to be received from April 15 to April 19, 2019.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $25.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating and contacting your shipper for return. Artist may elect to include a return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to Illume Gallery of Fine Art. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist’s/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brand, like Masterpak or Uline, or a FedEx Premium Art Box (not a FedEx Large Frame
Box). Home Depot boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $25 prior to hanging of the painting. Strong boxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist’s expense.
Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped “FREE DOMICILE” or will not be accepted.
Notification posted on OPA website: Jury results posted on OPA website February 22
Good Luck and Good Painting
Deadline for submissions
Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
April 15 to April 19
Both shipped and hand delivered artwork to arrive at Illume Gallery of Fine Art
Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Awards Presentation: announcement of recipients of National awards, Wet Paint winners and introduction of newest Signature and Master Signature conferees at 7:30 p.m.
May 10 through June 7
Length of time show will be open for viewing. See below for gallery hours
June 10 through 14
Local Artists: removal of paintings during this period. If not removed a storage fee will be charged. Illume Gallery of Fine Art thanks you for your cooperation.
Monday - Saturday
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.