OIL PAINTERS OF AMERICA®
Dedicated to the Preservation of Representational Art
The 2018 Eastern Regional
Juried Exhibition Of Traditional Oils
OPA’s 2018 Eastern Regional Exhibition is being hosted by McBride Gallery, located in Annapolis, Maryland, October 28 through November 25, 2018. Annapolis offers a wide variety of things to do while visiting one of the nations most historic and charming cities. You might consider visiting the Annapolis Maritime Museum, housed in the last remaining oyster packing plant, or the Maryland State House with the largest wooden dome in the United States. Annapolis is the home of the US Naval Academy which offers a tour that includes two beautiful, large Tiffany windows. The William Paca (signer of the Declaration of Independence) home is a Georgian mansion with a reconstructed 18th century pleasure garden. City Dock is the historic heart of Annapolis, on the waters of Chesapeake Bay, where one can take a leisurely trip on a tour boat around the harbor. McBride Gallery is hosting an Artist’s Coffee & Preview on Friday, October 26 and a Wine Tasting and Art Preview on Saturday, October 27. The Opening Reception will be on Sunday, October 28, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 2:00 p.m.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $11,500, including a $4,000 Best In Show.
The awarding juror will be OPA Master Signature member Kathy Anderson.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens of the United States and Canada who reside in: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Newfoundland, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, who are 2018 OPA members.
Members that are citizens, both natural born or otherwise, of the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate regardless of where they live. For sake of convenience, citizens who reside elsewhere will compete in the region that corresponds with their last place of residence within North America.
Nonresident aliens who currently live in the above states of the United States or Canada, are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2018 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
Liabilities and Responsibilities
Oil Painters of America and McBride Gallery will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
James Bruce, Signature Member and OPA Board Member, will serve as chairman of a Jurying Committee consisting of five Master Signature and/or Signature members of OPA. The results of the jurying will be final.
No refunds will be made on unaccepted entries.
FINAL ACCEPTANCE: Online submissions: Friday, August 24, 2018
· Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 960 square inches (unframed). Example: 24” (height) x 40” (width) = 960 square inches.
· Maximum entries two (2). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
· Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA Regional, Salon Show or National Exhibition.
· Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must be self-painted.
· Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
· No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or any reference you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
· NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
· Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2” beyond the back of the frame.
· Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
· Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
· The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
· All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS.
· An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable painting criteria please visit the OPA website.
Online Submissions — Deadline: Friday, August 24, 2018
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, April 23, 2018. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 960 square inches (unframed). Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found at
http://www.juriedartservices.com. Click on the “Help” tab.
To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to:
http://www.juriedartservices.com and look for OPA’s 2018 Eastern Regional Exhibition.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: one painting is $30.00 or $45.00 for two paintings. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through PayPal. No e-checks will be accepted. Jurying fees for online submissions may also be paid by check mailed to OPA if received by Friday, August 24, 2018.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2018 at a cost of $70.00. If you are currently not a member or have not paid your 2018 membership dues, OPA will accept your entry provided that 1) an electronic membership fee is paid by Friday August 24, or 2) a mailed membership application and your annual dues are postmarked no later than Friday, August 17, 2018. More membership information may be found on the OPA website, under the Member Services tab.
Sales commission of 40% is required by McBride Gallery for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist’s current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to McBride Gallery, 215 Main Street, Annapolis, MD, October 18 to October 23, 2018. Hand delivered work must be picked up between November 26 and November 30.
Out of Town Artists: ship to McBride Gallery, 215 Main Street, Maryland, MD 21401, to arrive October 8 to October 15, 2018.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $25.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating and contacting your shipper for return. Artist may elect to include a return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to McBride Gallery. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist’s/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brand, like Masterpak or Uline. FedEx Art boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $25 prior to hanging of the painting. Strong boxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist’s expense.
Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped “FREE DOMICILE” or will not be accepted.
Notification will be posted on OPA website September 20.
Good Luck and Good Painting
Deadline for submissions
Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
Oct. 8 - 15
Shipped artwork to arrive at McBride Gallery
Oct. 18 - 23
Hand delivered artwork to arrive at McBride Gallery
Artist’s Coffee & Preview
Wine Tasting & Preview
6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 2:00 p.m.
October 28 - November 25
Show will be open for viewing. See below for Gallery hours
November 26 - 30
Local Artists: paintings removed during this period. If not removed, a storage fee will be charged.
Mon. - Sat.
10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
12:00 p.m. - 5:30 p. m.
Open until 9:00 p.m.