the STORIES we tell
November 4, 2016 – January 27, 2017
The Gallery of Contemporary Mosaic (GoCM) is pleased to announce ...the STORIES we tell... a juried exhibition focusing on the narrative form of contemporary mosaic. How do stories shape our experience and understanding of the world? They can be an accounting of either real or imaginary events... past and present or future in a life. Through individual artistic viewpoints this story may be implied or ambiguous, merging fiction with non-fiction and blending the real with the imagined. Each artist has a story to tell and tells stories in a variety of ways...referencing myth, religion, history, literature or personal experiences. What are the stories you tell?
The Gallery of Contemporary Mosaic (GoCM), housed within The Chicago Mosaic School is dedicated to showcasing and promoting contemporary mosaic art from around the world. Established in 2005, The Chicago Mosaic School is the first and only school in North America dedicated to the study and academic discipline of mosaic fine art.
Our juror, Joy Horwich, has been in the art world for over 50 years. She began her fine art gallery in Chicago in 1973 establishing herself across the street from the Museum of Contemporary Art alongside other well-respected galleries. Today, no longer bound by the gallery Ms. Horwich enthusiastically continues to support the arts by representing a diverse collection of artists.
|Mar 21, 2016
||Submissions accepted online.
|Sep 13, 2016
|Sep 27, 2016
|Oct 4, 2016
|Oct 18, 2016
||Notification of acceptance by email
|Nov 1, 2016
||All works must be received at CMS
|Nov 4, 2016
|Nov 18, 2016
||Opening Reception; 6 - 9pm
|Jan 27, 2017
|Feb 3, 2017
||Artwork shipped back to artists
- All work MUST be of original design. Absolutely NO copies, reproductions or works by other artists or any other copyrighted material will be considered.
- No decorative art will be considered. This includes but is not limited to tables, mirrors, vases, boxes, etc.
- All work must be ready to exhibit and wired for hanging upon arrival. Work with saw-tooth hangers will NOT be accepted.
- Size/Weight Restrictions: 2D work must not exceed 36” (in either direction, without frame) and 20 lbs.
- 3D work must be stable and secure on a 12” square pedestal.
- No artwork to be moved before the exhibition closing date.
-All Images should be submitted Digitally in 300 dpi jpeg format.
- Artists are encouraged to offer their works for sale.
- The Gallery of Contemporary Mosaics (GoMC) will take 25% of all sales.
- Artist is responsible for shipping and insuring their work in a sturdy, reusable box or crate.
- Return shipping and insurance MUST be prepaid, with labels included with the work upon arrival.
- Absolutely NO packing peanuts whether packed by artist or packing service.
- Hand deliveries no later than November 1, 2016.
- Shipping instructions will be included with acceptance notification.
RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND LIABILITY
- GoMC takes all reasonable care in handling and displaying entries. GoCm is not responsible for any loss, damage or deterioration of artwork while in its possession. Artists are responsible for appropriately insuring their artwork during the show and while in transit.
- Sending an entry to this show implies an agreement with all conditions set forth in the prospectus and grants the sponsors the right to reproduce any work for catalog and/or publicity.
- GoCM is not responsible for work not picked up 10 days after the show ends.
- GoCM reserves the right to reject any work that differs from the submitted image or that is deemed too dangerous or fragile to display.